• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Configuring a Two Radio Simple Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwise

I am experimenting with putting together a two radio, simple repeater for use around the house (I’m on acreage out in the county). I have a couple extra Baofeng UV5Rs, so I figured they would work just fine for this experiment.

I copied the setup I saw on YouTube, taking a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable to connect the RX radio’s speaker output to the TX radio’s mic input. (The trick is that the cable’s ground wire has to be cut to prevent it from constantly transmitting.)

YouTube taught me the volume on the RX radio has to be turned up all the way, along with the VOX setting on the TX radio.

I got it all set up on my desk to try it out, and it seemed to work perfectly…for about 5 seconds. Each time I mic’d up and started talking (the TX radio doesn’t transmit until you start talking, not just push the PTT) the TX radio repeats my transmission on the alternate frequency for about five seconds and then cuts off. If I keep talking, it will come back on for about five more seconds and then cut off again, etc…

Does anyone know why my TX radio cuts off the transmission when I’m still talking? (The TOT is set to 60.)

nd5y

That's what happens when you try to use VOX. Those radios have no adjustments for VOX sensitivity or delay. If the end user radios are more than a few feet away from the "repeater" you will start having desense and overload issues too. You can't make a real repeater out of UV5Rs and expect it to work well.

Jwise

I suppose you’re right, but it’s mostly just an experiment. And I believe you nailed the issue: too close proximity of the radios/antennas. I spaced out the RX and TX radios and the issue seemed to go away.

Jwise

I’m thinking if I add a duplexer between the radios and a single dual band antenna it will fix the desensing issue.

I am trying to decide if I’m going to spend more $$ to try and get this to work, or just chalk it up to lessons learned and move on to something else.

prcguy

I've experimented with Baofeng type radios using a good duplexer and a 5MHz split on UHF and it doesn't work, way too much desense that you can't fix. Trying the same thing on 2m with a 600KHz spacing would be much worse.

Separate receivers and transmitters used for repeaters are usually well shielded and a Baofeng is not. Plus the receiver front ends are very wide band with little to no filtering.

KB0VWG

Here is one other option not sure how well it works.

kb0vwg

Jwise

I might try a Wouxun KG UV9D Plus. It’s a HT with crossband repeater capability built in. For my limited use, it may be just the ticket.

Watton925

Premium Subscriber
I'm experimenting with a surecom 628 as a simple repeater had some success with set up but for best results I will need to separate the antennas.

prcguy

I tested that radio and with the various 2m and 440 freqs I tried it had desense. You might be able to find a magic VHF/UHF split that works but I couldn't. I then tried an Anytone AT-3318UV-D and it cross band repeated perfectly with no desense.

I might try a Wouxun KG UV9D Plus. It’s a HT with crossband repeater capability built in. For my limited use, it may be just the ticket.

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
Or you could try one of these.

I bought one to try and it worked ok. I set the receiving one on a weather channel and the transmit one to a FRS channel. Seemed to work on close range. I did not try any distance with them. The other issue I had was since it was transmiting all the time I suspect the Baofeng would not last that long. My UV-5r did start to get warm so I gave up. Would probably work for you if there is not a lot of activity.
Good Luck!

Jwise

Or you could try one of these.

I bought one to try and it worked ok. I set the receiving one on a weather channel and the transmit one to a FRS channel. Seemed to work on close range. I did not try any distance with them. The other issue I had was since it was transmiting all the time I suspect the Baofeng would not last that long. My UV-5r did start to get warm so I gave up. Would probably work for you if there is not a lot of activity.
Good Luck!

Isn’t that just the connector cable? Is there any circuitry in the box? It still requires the duplexer, but I guess the cable allows you plenty of “stretch” to separate the radios.

Jwise

I tested that radio and with the various 2m and 440 freqs I tried it had desense. You might be able to find a magic VHF/UHF split that works but I couldn't. I then tried an Anytone AT-3318UV-D and it cross band repeated perfectly with no desense.

Good to know! Thanks for that feedback.

The TYT TH UV8000D was half the price, so last night I went ahead and ordered it last to try it out.

I am seriously violating the “buy once, cry once” motto!

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is only a one way conversion. Takes whatever is being heard on the receiving radio and sends it to the transmitting radio.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
What about a pair of better GMRS radios? Didn't see you actual distance or terrain needs, but they can have higher power and cost lots less than a good repeater setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.