Confirm Freescan settings for a P25 Phase II system using Freescan

Status
Not open for further replies.

btripp24

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys. Looking for some assistance with confirming settings in programming a P25 phase II system. The system in question is for Genesee County,NY and I’m using Freescan to program a BCD325P2. I’m losing audio and or not getting any at all to pop up.

I’m using Freescan to program a BCD325P2. I’m losing audio and or not getting any at all to pop up.
Assuming you are in range and the system is not encrypted, you should see the Control Channel frequency pop up on the display. for a few seconds

The system type should be this:

P25.jpg

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is a file for the Genesee County trunked system. If you have problems with dropouts or garbled audio, it will be due to simulcast distortion. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN and Upload Programming. System quick key is 1. Group quick keys as follows:

1. Genesee Sheriff
2. Genesee Police
3. Genesee Fire/EMS
4. Genesee Hosp ER
5. Genesee EMA
6. Genesee Interop
7. Genesee DPW
8. Batavia
9. Le Roy

Attachments

• Genesee Co NY.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 12

btripp24

Premium Subscriber
I uploaded the file to give it a shot. Not seeing any difference from what I had. Is it normal for the signal strength meter to flicker on and off while scanning? You mentioned the simulcast distortion, any remedy for that, that you are aware of?

Chris0516

Hey guys. Looking for some assistance with confirming settings in programming a P25 phase II system. The system in question is for Genesee County,NY and I’m using Freescan to program a BCD325P2. I’m losing audio and or not getting any at all to pop up.
Have you checked the Control Channels?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I uploaded the file to give it a shot. Not seeing any difference from what I had. Is it normal for the signal strength meter to flicker on and off while scanning? You mentioned the simulcast distortion, any remedy for that, that you are aware of?
Here's a map of the tower locations for your county's simulcast site:
1619818014371.png

See this article in the Wiki for a more detailed of simulcast issues, along with a few suggestions on trying to mitigate the issue.

If you are having simulcast issues, sometimes less antenna (one without gain, or even down to using a paperclip for an antenna) might help. A directional antenna, aimed at one specific tower site, away from the other towers, might also help. However, with a directional antenna at at a single site will degrade your reception from other systems in a different direction from where you are aiming.

btripp24

Premium Subscriber
Another thing that seems odd is under the APCO Band plan in position 0 it is placing the frequency 851.01250 and a spacing of 12.5. It repeats this in position 1 and 8. Not sure if this is normal but seems to automatically do it when I scan. Even if I've wiped them out.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Another thing that seems odd is under the APCO Band plan in position 0 it is placing the frequency 851.01250 and a spacing of 12.5. It repeats this in position 1 and 8. Not sure if this is normal but seems to automatically do it when I scan. Even if I've wiped them out.
Almost all P25 systems automatically load the band plan from the control channel. You don't have to worry about the band plan. Genesee County appears to be a Harris system since every frequency is listed as a control channel. On a Harris system, any frequency may be used as the control channel. All 6 frequencies must be entered because the control channel frequency on a Harris system can change on a regular basis. If you are having problems receiving the system, it is almost certainly a simulcast issue. Try turning on the attenuator. Reducing the number of towers you receive can improve decoding of the control channel. Harris systems are notorious for simulcast problems on scanners. The only scanners designed to receive simulcast systems are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile.

Chris0516

I did put the control channels in as conventional and it is matching what I'm seeing when scanning the P25 system.
Here's a map of the tower locations for your county's simulcast site:
View attachment 103004

See this article in the Wiki for a more detailed of simulcast issues, along with a few suggestions on trying to mitigate the issue.

If you are having simulcast issues, sometimes less antenna (one without gain, or even down to using a paperclip for an antenna) might help. A directional antenna, aimed at one specific tower site, away from the other towers, might also help. However, with a directional antenna at at a single site will degrade your reception from other systems in a different direction from where you are aiming.
Going on Steve mentioning simuulcast issues. The BCD325p2 doesn't have that capability. That is the one drawback of that scanner. Otherwise, I don't want any other scanner. Whwn you say that you put the CC in as Conv., do you mean, something like this '854.3650'?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.