Confirmation for Currituck and Dare Counties Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I'll be taking my yearly trip to Avon, NC next month and this is my first trip to the area since getting my apx8k. I did some research on Currituck and Dare counties (traveling in from PA) but just want to confirm a few things. Please confirm or correct anything you can below:

1. Currituck Sheriff and Fire/EMS is still on their 800 conventional and all Sheriff channels are encrypted (despite the DB saying P25 as opposed to P25E).
  2. I probably won't pass much NC State Highway Patrol activity on 168/158 so I'm planning on just monitoring Currituck Fire.
  3. Dare County is still on their own system - patches to VIPER but all originates on the county system.
I'll be spending most of my time in Dare County so I'm just feeling out whether or not I should even bother programming VIPER since I'll want to be listening to Dare Fire/EMS, ocean rescue, and national parks.

Is there anything I'm missing that I should monitor on my drive down or while on vacation?

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I don't ever remember seeing NCSHP on 168 or 158 from the NC line to Dare County. I assume that's just county sheriff area?
I just did a ride down there this past weekend to get some fireworks, saw at least 3 NCSHP troopers as well as Currituck Sheriff’s. I’d program in VIPER for Dare. Wildlife Resources Commission and Marine Fisheries can provide some interesting listening. You’re correct Currituck and Dare Law are all encrypted, however last year I did catch some unencrypted Law comms on one of the old either Sheriff or Beach Law Dispatch, can’t remember which one

akalynchs

NCSHP is very active on Caratoke Highway leading on down into Kitty Hawk. You may want to plug in the Barco and Kitty Hawk VIPER sites. They run radar and respond to fender benders as well as Currituck and Dare.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Thank you both for the replies. I'll probably go for VIPER instead of Currituck County fire if NCSHP is indeed on that route. Too bad I don't have two 800 units so I could monitor VIPER and Dare while in Avon

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Thank you both for the replies. I'll probably go for VIPER instead of Currituck County fire if NCSHP is indeed on that route. Too bad I don't have two 800 units so I could monitor VIPER and Dare while in Avon
They like to use Chargers, unmarked and marked

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
I travel to Rodanthe 2x a month US 64 all the way to 12, tons of ncshp units all the way to Hatteras Ferry. Mostly unmarked chargers and some marked ones and marked Tahoes as well. Plug in 155.775 it's the Hatteras Island Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo lifeguards...they respond to a lot along NC 12 and the villages, very active. Dare has a great P25 system which I use Unication G5 for, works as good as anything the county itself has.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Anything specific I should plug in for VIPER while in Avon? I currently have all of Dare County TGs and NCSHP Troop A District 1 along with all of their ops channels.

Thank you.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Anything specific I should plug in for VIPER while in Avon? I currently have all of Dare County TGs and NCSHP Troop A District 1 along with all of their ops channels.

Thank you.
Marine Fisheries, Wildlife Resources Commission and LZ East

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber

Thank you.
Since we are summer residents of the Hatteras Island area I listen to about everything. In Avon there's the Ace Hardware, FoodLion, other places that use the 467.000-468.000 frequencies, lots of Coast Guard stuff on VHF, Commercial fisherman, etc. Very little on Viper except a lot of Helo activity on LZ frequencies, once in a blue moon some NCSHP, mostly everything is on the Dare County P25 system, you'll also hear law enforcement for Hyde County & Tyrell county....I've never heard anything on Federal frequencies ever in 20 years...

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Since we are summer residents of the Hatteras Island area I listen to about everything. In Avon there's the Ace Hardware, FoodLion, other places that use the 467.000-468.000 frequencies, lots of Coast Guard stuff on VHF, Commercial fisherman, etc. Very little on Viper except a lot of Helo activity on LZ frequencies, once in a blue moon some NCSHP, mostly everything is on the Dare County P25 system, you'll also hear law enforcement for Hyde County & Tyrell county....I've never heard anything on Federal frequencies ever in 20 years...

I had my scanner there many years ago and specifically remember hearing almost nothing on VIPER. When you say "Federal frequencies," does that include the National Park Service on their 169.650 repeater? I'll also have to plug in the Coast Guard freqs.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
Park service is dispatched on the Dare county system, I’ve had the vhf federal frequencies in my radios for the last few years never heard anything. Jockeys ridge state park is on 159.420 up in Nags Head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Park service is dispatched on the Dare county system, I’ve had the vhf federal frequencies in my radios for the last few years never heard anything. Jockeys ridge state park is on 159.420 up in Nags Head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought the NPS channel on the Dare P25 was Encrypted?

CPerk

Have my XTS5000 and been hearing lot of traffic on dare county EMS, and on VIPER hear SHP few times . Been down since yesterday , Definitely miss hearing sheriff office, the ALPHA and CHARLIE. I remember back in day Charlie channel covers Avon area. But to sum up, dare county EMS with dare county N and TAC1 been lot traffic.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Have my XTS5000 and been hearing lot of traffic on dare county EMS, and on VIPER hear SHP few times . Been down since yesterday , Definitely miss hearing sheriff office, the ALPHA and CHARLIE. I remember back in day Charlie channel covers Avon area. But to sum up, dare county EMS with dare county N and TAC1 been lot traffic.
Did you catch the lighting strike earlier this week? I'll be down next Saturday for a week, looking forward to trying my new Taco out on Corolla

CPerk

Did you catch the lighting strike earlier this week? I'll be down next Saturday for a week, looking forward to trying my new Taco out on Corolla
Sadly didn’t catch lighting strike, however been monitoring EMS today . Been quiet busy on dare county system . VIPER haven’t heard to much

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Sadly didn’t catch lighting strike, however been monitoring EMS today . Been quiet busy on dare county system . VIPER haven’t heard to much
Marine Fisheries always end up being most of the activity I catch on VIPER while down there

Status
Not open for further replies.