*Confirmed* Halton going Digital in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
I spoke to a inside source on the go train and was told they are getting a new CAD system next year and P25 in 2011

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't say it is confirmed until we hear them.

I was told Hamilton PS would be digital/encrypted 3 years ago. I was also told the OPP would be encrypted once the switch to Fleetnet. This came from a TSB member.

Let's only hope it'll be unencrypted P25, however I VERY much doubt it will be.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Speaking as a Halton resident if it does go P25 unscannable so be it, with the current set up they have now and their use of computers instead of radio dispatch it is hard enough to scan them now.
I hope BFS doesnt go encrypted though.

As Mike mentioned when it comes to inside info regarding radio systems seeing is believing is the best approach.

JPM-ARG

The RFP is available on the Halton site with reqd specs and all

And if there hasn't been a winner announced yet, you can't say for certain they're going to do anything. Also, despite G42's source, I haven't seen any RFPs for CAD systems...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I am one a name basis with my city councillor.
I will email him and see what he says.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I got a responce from my city councillor here. He is a member of the police services board. He indicated to me that Halton is working on a new radio system and that it is P25 Digital compliant. He did not respond to me about which and even if there is any encryption in the wroks. If he does get back to me and I will ask his permission to say anything I will let you know.
This new radio system will be ready to go in the first half of 2012.

That said, municipal politics moves at the speed of snail. There is a rail crossing on King Road here hard on the CN lines just north of Plains/Fairview. The city and the railway finally made a deal to build a underpass for drivers. Burlington is now a matured suburb, like Mississauga, developers are building up because there is very little land left to develop that isnt to be protected for green purposes.

Work started in 2010 and was supposed to finish in early 2011. They have found that there are a great more challenges that they thoough. There are sewer lines to move and rebuild, there are a few creeks that present obstucles, etc. This means that there work to now on the underpass has stopped . They cant continue until they fixed the sewers and the creek.

Moral: When the govt says they are going to do things take it with a grain of salt. If there is any other doubt about this in Halton look up the Burlington tourist peir on Lakeshore, many years in the making, now stalled and stopped.

I betcha we will still be able to listen to comms in Halton for a period long past 2012.

Last edited:

Infinitig37x

That does not surprise me ejb I grew up down the street from that king road crossing (loved to catch air over it with the parents car lol) as far as there switching over yea that will take awhile first they have to get all the coppers thought the re training for driving (halton cops have a bad habit of wiping out there cars lol)

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Infinitig37x said:
That does not surprise me ejb I grew up down the street from that king road crossing (loved to catch air over it with the parents car lol) as far as there switching over yea that will take awhile first they have to get all the coppers thought the re training for driving (halton cops have a bad habit of wiping out there cars lol)

Cool. I live in the Warwick/Surrey area. Its the black hole of Burlington but I hear more crime and calls on streets like Pinedale and in the Guelph Line and Prospect or on Industrial.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Infinitig37x said:

Another issue with the underpass. All the electrical, communications cables and such have to be moved. If you can picture the land west of King Road to Waterdown, its owned by CN real estate I think and that land will be developed within the next 10 yrs and the land is worth billions! Anyway, sorry to the po-lice on here. I really went off on a tangent off topic.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

Anyways. I can't really hear the control channel from my place. They most have a tower in the city. I'll keep searching and do my best to log any tests.

VE3JSO

what is the freq for the p25 system i know it is in the forum somewhere but i can't find it and it's not in the database yet

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
I noticed that the HomePatrol lists two Band Plans for Halton's P25 South site

Band Plan 1 = 851.00625 MHz / 6.25 kHz step size
Band Plan 2 = 762.00625 MHz / 6.25 kHz step size

got zero's on the North Site so far.

newsradio6

Premium Subscriber
New halton system

I have been listening to the south frequencies that are posted in the System 44 wiki and there has been occaisional activity on them. I'm about 4 km from the Trafalgar tower (white oaks). Unfortunately, I dont have a P25 scanner yet so have not been able to tell what the activity is. I visited the new Speyside tower last week and it appears to be all installed and ready to go. Did not hear any rf activity off it using the closecall capture however on the 246T.

Status
Not open for further replies.