confused about the pro97 tracking vhf

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm having a hell of a time programming my pro97 to this trunk system:

http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=861

I had it in before but stopped picking things up last night. I just read in the easy to read manual online where it says: "These scanners will not trunktrack VHF systems". I find this very strange since for the past 2 months when I got it, I've been tracking that VHF system fine.

Am I losing my mind here? What's going on? Any ideas on how I can program that system? I've done all the base, and step stuff.. It WAS working fine before.

hsdtech

It says system voice is analog AND APCO 25 which is digital. Maybe they went strictly digital? Of course you know the Pro-97 doesn't do digital.
Maybe thats the problem?

seamusg

hsdtech said:
It says system voice is analog AND APCO 25 which is digital. Maybe they went strictly digital? Of course you know the Pro-97 doesn't do digital.
Maybe thats the problem?
System voice is not system type the one the PRO97 won't do is:
System Type: Project 25 Standard
this system is:
System Type: Motorola Type II SmartZone

SCPD

QRT
hsdtech said:
Maybe thats the problem?

it's a mixed system of analog and digital. i already know this since the ones i was following were strictly analog.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
This is interesting. I don't own a 97 (decided to stay away from buying non-upgradable scanners until after rebanding) but looking at the owner's manual and the pre-release draft owner's manual, both say it is not capable of VHF Moto Trunking. But at the same time the note on page 20 of the OM says, "Trunked modes (MO, ED and LT) can only be selected for frequencies above 137 MHz." I am sure that this must have come up previously when the radio was initially released.

Although this is not exactly relevant to the topic at hand, I found an interesting comment in both versions of the OM that I have. It indicates, while discussing how the radio uses the control channel to get talk group information, that for "some Motorola (under 512 MHz range) and LTR systems, the scanner uses the subaudible data sent with each transmission to identify talk groups."; sort of like the original Pro-92. If this were true, then it would not be a CCh only scanner for Moto systems below 512 MHz. :confused:

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
On page 66 it says:

For EDACS and Motorola (above 406 MHz
range), the scanner monitors the control channel between
each transmission to identify talk groups. For some Motorola
(under 512 MHz range) and LTR systems, the scanner uses
the subaudible data sent with each transmission to identify
talk groups.

Taken literally this would mean that between 406 and 512 it is both control channel and subaudible trunking for Motorola. Obviously all LTR systems are subaudible tracking. The manual wasn't carefully edited evidently.

Since trunked mode can be selected above 137 MHz it must track VHF systems somehow. Win97 does allow base and offset entries in the VHF range and those are only useful for control channel trunking.

Too bad the manual is so poor in covering trunking set-up.

SCPD

QRT
Thank you that clears up my head a bit. At least I know now that it can get VHF motorola above 137. The ones in the system I was receiving are in the 140MHz range and they were coming in for the past 2 months. I'm trying to program it again now from some tips people gave me and crossing my fingers.

loumaag said:
This is interesting. I don't own a 97 (decided to stay away from buying non-upgradable scanners until after rebanding) but looking at the owner's manual and the pre-release draft owner's manual, both say it is not capable of VHF Moto Trunking. But at the same time the note on page 20 of the OM says, "Trunked modes (MO, ED and LT) can only be selected for frequencies above 137 MHz." I am sure that this must have come up previously when the radio was initially released.

Although this is not exactly relevant to the topic at hand, I found an interesting comment in both versions of the OM that I have. It indicates, while discussing how the radio uses the control channel to get talk group information, that for "some Motorola (under 512 MHz range) and LTR systems, the scanner uses the subaudible data sent with each transmission to identify talk groups."; sort of like the original Pro-92. If this were true, then it would not be a CCh only scanner for Moto systems below 512 MHz. :confused:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
pro92b said:
Clearly, but this is a problem with all of the recent manuals, no matter what manufacturer. I wonder where the guy who wrote those old Heathkit manuals is? :D

However, this is not addressing photodreamer's problem. We have to assume unless he was dreaming (sorry couldn't resist) his radio was working before, so what changed? Since I don't have one here I don't know how it would react to a digital signal on a Moto trunking system, would it act like most scanners do for ProVoice, ignore the channel grant, or does it go to it and assault your ears with a digital stream. If it ignores the digital grants, then the suggestion by hsdtech earlier in the thread may have some merit. But that (the change from analog to digital) probably would be a topic for one of the Canadian forums to answer.

SCPD

QRT
Very poor indeed. Drives me nuts how all scanners now seem to have such poor manuals since PC programming has become the standard. There's nothing in the manual at all helping me out to program this not so common Motorola VHF fleetnet system. Trying a few things now recommended to me from people using one locally. Hope it will work.

pro92b said:
On page 66 it says:

For EDACS and Motorola (above 406 MHz
range), the scanner monitors the control channel between
each transmission to identify talk groups. For some Motorola
(under 512 MHz range) and LTR systems, the scanner uses
the subaudible data sent with each transmission to identify
talk groups.

Taken literally this would mean that between 406 and 512 it is both control channel and subaudible trunking for Motorola. Obviously all LTR systems are subaudible tracking. The manual wasn't carefully edited evidently.

Since trunked mode can be selected above 137 MHz it must track VHF systems somehow. Win97 does allow base and offset entries in the VHF range and those are only useful for control channel trunking.

jambo

Just curious

Did you ever get the Pro 97 up and running again? I just recently got one myself and really enjoy it so far.

scnnr

I see when you try and program in the control channel frequencies for say the Windsor twr it will not program in as shown in the databse. It rounds it self off on the scanner as so.

Windsor 02 142.262500 MOT 0.0
Windsor 03 142.525000 MOT 0.0
Windsor 07 143.150000 MOT 0.0

Instead of as like so

020 Windsor 142.26000* 142.53000* 143.14500*

Could that be causing you a problem?

EDIT: Disreguard my post, I should have read the Eastern Canada Posts first by Dave before posting here.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
unfortunately still having no luck with that system. all other trunk systems are fine. just can't get that one to track the analog tgid's.

jambo said:
Did you ever get the Pro 97 up and running again? I just recently got one myself and really enjoy it so far.

Mark01

I've tried to monitor the Essex Fleetnet system-the same as you are on my Pro 97.I set the tables,offsets and base correct the problem was it would not consistantly track the analog talkgroups and it was hit or miss .A BCD396T tracking the same system along side the Pro 97 would recieve the analog talkgroups that the Pro 97 was missing with no problems.

Mark

scnnr

photodreamer said:
unfortunately still having no luck with that system. all other trunk systems are fine. just can't get that one to track the analog tgid's.

Just for the heck of it did you try to program in all the frequencies for the Essex and Windsor towers instead of control channel only? Or did you already try that?

That really is weird though.

SCPD

QRT
yes i tried just the control channel, and then all the channels, tried leaving the first bank channel (0) empty like someone else said to try, and programming in the following spots (1,2,3..). still nothing. sometimes i would hear part of one conversation. but when i had a friend on msn listening on his uniden 246t he would be hearing a lot more when mine was picking up nothing. i really give up. what i don't understand is that it was working fine and getting this system in for the past two months since i bought the scanner. all my other banks are coming in fine too, but this is the only VHF system i have in. the rest are motorola UHF systems.

scnnr said:
Just for the heck of it did you try to program in all the frequencies for the Essex and Windsor towers instead of control channel only? Or did you already try that?

That really is weird though.

SCPD

QRT
yes, same thing happening here as my friends with uniden bc246t's listening in and picking up everything.

Mark01 said:
I've tried to monitor the Essex Fleetnet system-the same as you are on my Pro 97.I set the tables,offsets and base correct the problem was it would not consistantly track the analog talkgroups and it was hit or miss .A BCD396T tracking the same system along side the Pro 97 would recieve the analog talkgroups that the Pro 97 was missing with no problems.

Mark

69stiles

I'm about 10km west of Kitchener & I have my 2055 beside my Uniden br330t hooked up to the same antenna. The 2055 won't pick up Kitchener or stratfords control channels & the Uniden does. When I'm right in Stratford or Kitchener it works fine but zilch from a bit of a distance

SCPD

QRT
Just when I was enjoying my RS scanner too after not having one for 20 years. I guess I'll be going back to Uniden again. : (

69stiles said:
I'm about 10km west of Kitchener & I have my 2055 beside my Uniden br330t hooked up to the same antenna. The 2055 won't pick up Kitchener or stratfords control channels & the Uniden does. When I'm right in Stratford or Kitchener it works fine but zilch from a bit of a distance

scnnr

photodreamer said:
Just when I was enjoying my RS scanner too after not having one for 20 years. I guess I'll be going back to Uniden again. : (

Photdreamer, just curious, do you know anyone with a pro 96 or 2096 ? Are they having any problems with analog tg's you are referring to?

Randy

SCPD

QRT
I'll have to ask my friend who I think has a pro96, but I don't think he can get fleetnet. I'm not sure. I've posted a lot in a community for my city, and people are saying the same thing who have the mobile/base version of the pro97. They have uniden scanners next to their RS one, and the RS one will miss calls the uniden is picking up for that fleenet system.

Someone in the yahoo RS community also said it's happening to them. They said it's something in the firmware and can't be fixed. I just don't get why it was working fine for the last two months and now i hear nothing. Sorry to keep posting about it. I run a news site and picking up EMS is so crucial to my reporting.

scnnr said:
Photdreamer, just curious, do you know anyone with a pro 96 or 2096 ? Are they having any problems with analog tg's you are referring to?

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.