Confused, did I buy the right thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHIslander

Whats up everyone, my name is Dominic and I am from Hilton Head Island in SE SC. (Beaufort County) I bought a RadioShack Pro 528 to listen to local fire/ems calls. I completely admit that I am way out of my league on this site, but I guess ya'll are the people to ask.
I know that our system runs on a Trunking system, does that work with the scanner that I bought? I read that wiki post under the trunking section on this forum, and it def helped, but I still am confused.
Once I figure this out, where can I go to get it programmed, or is it easy enough for me to do it.
I debated on which section of the forum I should post this, so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot.
Thanks to everyone in advance!
~Dom

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yep, and it will work with most of the Palmetto system, although there are some areas that are digital and cannot be monitored with the 528

I will have this moved to the SC forum - however, it should be quite easy to program. I'm sure the SC folks can help....73 Mike

HHIslander

Yep, and it will work with most of the Palmetto system, although there are some areas that are digital and cannot be monitored with the 528

I will have this moved to the SC forum - however, it should be quite easy to program. I'm sure the SC folks can help....73 Mike

thanks.. i was thinking i should have posted it there.

bpalmer

Beaufort County is easy to listen to right now. Under the guise of Nextel rebanding, radio mangers talked the County Council into to going to a digital system in the near future. I believe that is a digital scanner.

Load into one of your banks

These are the control channels that alternate everyday. Following your instruction for trunking and you should hear something.

Go to the database for Hilton head Fire Rescue. Law Enforcement on the Island is Sheriff South.
Ignore anything plantation related as they are there for natural disaster and not their day to day operations.

Talk Group number and who uses them are accurate as to public safety users. i gave up trying to track the others.

Every Sunday at 8am at IHOP is a gathering of Hams some are familar with scanners, though I help them some. i go to that every now and then. I live in Beaufort.

Private message if you need more detail contact. I am not familar with that scanmer

Last edited:

bpalmer

My error I got the numbers mixed up with a diffrent scanner. Didn't see the PRO in front of it

Still for the time being it will work real well in Beaufort County and Hilton Head. If it is similar to the Pro 97 it should program fairly easily.

Oh, for fire listening the HHI fire still pages out on 154.145 (be wary, so does Colleton County, Garden City GA and Garden City SC.)

Status
Not open for further replies.