confused here.. p-25 jackson county

Status
Not open for further replies.

ervin1

lotta traffic here on p-25 i can catch all the action on my 396t on close call ... but when i programmed them into my scanner cant hear anything ... any help would be appreciated

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Make sure that you did not program a PL/CTCSS tone or DCS code into the frequency. Looking at the database for your county, it shows the Sheriff's primary to be 155.9625. The text next to that says "mixed analog/digital". If you got a Close Call hit when it was analog, you may have tone or DCS code. If you enter that, you won't hear the digital. You can always enter the frequency twice, once with the tone (or code) if one was found, to get any analog transmissions using it. The other entry, enter either without the tone (or code). [You can alternately make the second entry one that locks out any transmission with that code or tone, in effect, trying to reserve that slot for a digital transmission.]

Also, did you set modukation to FM, of leave it as Auto? If on Auto, the 396 treats that basically as NFM. Maybe try it as FM?

If frequencies other than 155.9625 were showing to be P25 on Close Call, which ones?
You could have been hearing the input side of the Sheriff's repeater from a unit that was close to you at the time. Close Call is just that. Close range. 155.9625 is listed as the repeater output. The input is not listed on the page.

ervin1

im getting hits on 155.9600 155.9700 155.9650 hearing conversation both ways on these feq. on close call

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ervin1 said:
im getting hits on 155.9600 155.9700 155.9650 hearing conversation both ways on these feq. on close call
I think those are all hits from county's licensed freqeny, 155.9625. They're all just on either side of it, & no FCC licenses for those specific channels are shown. If you are close enough to unit or base station transmitting, and the signal is strong enough, Close Call (or Signal Stalker on the Radio Shack units) may read the strong signal as additional, false, hits either before or after the actual transmit frequency.

Just be sure you have 155.9625 programmed, without a PL/CTCSS tone or DCS code, & you'll catch all this action.

ervin1

thnks hiegtx. this is kinda confusing but im figuring it out.. but why would i be getting close call hits from 8 miles away in the next town on 155.9600 or155.9700 and its sounds like digital traffic???

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Looking at the database info, they show more than one transmit (repeater, possibly) locations. One of those might be closer to you. Also, a high powered base, feeding a gain antenna, might be strong enough to trigger your scanner's Close Call. Another possibility is that the mobiles are sometimes using the same frequency as a transmit frquency, instead of going through a repeater. Basically they are talking simplex, possibly using it as a "car-to-car" channel. One of them could be anywhere.

You might also start keeping an eye out for the APCO-25 to pop up on the TX DPS frequencies. They are slowly converting over, as noted on several other threads. Even though my area will probably be one of the last to change, I've gone ahead & created an APCO-25 DPS group. I occasionally travel west into areas where the P-25 is being used now, & atmospheric conditions at times are making the signals carry a good bit farther than usual.

ervin1

yes im thinkin they use 4 repeaters here .. im thinking dps out of corpus christi is p-25 dont think that Peirce is though.. thanks for the help..

Status
Not open for further replies.