Confused on use of ./install.sh vs ./rebuild.sh

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
I have been enjoying use of op25 for quite some time. I would periodically redo the git pull and ./install.sh to incorporate enhancements and fixes.

I recently saw that, to incorporate new (and future) enhancements, ./rebuild.sh should be executed. I am confused on:

1) whether that should be done after deleting the contents of the op25 directory and subdirectories (after backing up my changes to op25.sh and .tsv files) or simply run from the op25 directory without clearing current contents.

2) after rebuild.sh has been executed once, should I rerun when git pull indicated new code or resume executing ./install.sh to incorporate changes.

I have searched the forum and the READMEs but have not seen info to answer these questions.

Thanks

Glenn

boatbod

install.sh installs prerequisite packages and builds/installs the library code.
rebuild.sh deleted the contents of the 'build' directory and forces a full rebuild.

At first glance they make seem similar, but install.sh does not delete the contents of the 'build' directory if it already exists, whereas rebuild.sh will do that but it doesn't install packages.

Initial installation & minor updates: use install.sh
Major updates involving interface changes: use rebuild.sh

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
install.sh installs prerequisite packages and builds/installs the library code.
rebuild.sh deleted the contents of the 'build' directory and forces a full rebuild.

At first glance they make seem similar, but install.sh does not delete the contents of the 'build' directory if it already exists, whereas rebuild.sh will do that but it doesn't install packages.

Initial installation & minor updates: use install.sh
Major updates involving interface changes: use rebuild.sh
I think I understand now. If I continue to monitor this forum, I would know that a major update had been posted on github and so git pull / rebuild.sh would be appropriate.

In the meantime, I would continue to periodically run git pull / install.sh.

Is that correct?

Thanks for all your work on op25 and your help in ramping up my understanding of how best to leverage it.

Glenn

boatbod

I think I understand now. If I continue to monitor this forum, I would know that a major update had been posted on github and so git pull / rebuild.sh would be appropriate.

In the meantime, I would continue to periodically run git pull / install.sh.

Is that correct?

Thanks for all your work on op25 and your help in ramping up my understanding of how best to leverage it.

Glenn
While I usually post here when a rebuild update has been pushed, if you ever run a git pull/install and notice library errors at execution time, running rebuild is a good first step.