Confused - rubber duck works, discone - no reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Before you declare him to be "completely wrong", perhaps you ought to re-read what he posted and make sure you're not misinterpreting it.

It seems fairly clear that he stated that there is both a standalone site (ASR in ASTRO 25 lingo, which is what the SC Palmetto system is), as well as a simulcast cell. He prefers to monitor only the ASR site, as there is obviously no simulcast distortion when it's a single physical site, but will switch to the simulcast cell when necessary, at which point he experiences the ubiquitous simulcast/multi-path issues.
I get all that. I was responding to this:
"If I monitor simulcast without avoiding the main site I will get the distortion. When it is avoided I have perfect reception with no distortion"

He is claiming that avoiding the non-simulcast site gives him perfect reception on the simulcast cell, and that he only has simulcast reception issues when monitoring both the simulcast and the non-simulcast sites. That is ridiculous and impossible for several reasons, most obviously that the scanner settings for site A have zero impact on the reception for site B, and turning off the simulcast cell is what is going to make simulcast problems go away, not turning off the single-transmitter site.

That may not have been what was meant, but it is what was said, and as written is 100% backwards and wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.