Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countrygent65

I recently purchased a hand held Uniden BC75XLT. I've never had one and here is my quandary. I can hear the "weather broadcast...I have 10 Bands programmed with local frequencies nothing locked out when I hit "scan", it only goes to band 1 ,I turn the knob or hit scan and it stays on band one at the top but scanner moves to the various frequencies with a band number to the left of the freq it sees. I can get nothing but constant static until it gets to the weather and that works but nothing else will. The instructions are not really all inclusive and I am wondering how I can get the scanner to pick up local police/fire etc? Can anyone assist me? Sorry I'm a scanner dummy :).

nanZor

I turn the knob or hit scan and it stays on band one at the top but scanner moves to the various frequencies with a band number to the left of the freq it sees.

This just means that you need to enable / disable the actual bank when scanning by hitting 0-9 while it scans.

Up at the top you can see the banks that are activate. Sounds like in the top of the display, this might be all you see:

B: 1

But you have more than one bank programmed. Just hit the number of the banks you want to activate - say you want banks 1, 3, 4,5 and 7 active. By tapping those buttons and enabling the bank, you would see:

B: 1__345__7

Also be sure to set your squelch:

Orange [FN] key
Press down on knob
Choose your desired squelch level until you hear no noise and maybe even a bit more past it.

Then just hit FN again, scan, or any other key and your squelch will be set.

dmg1969

I recently purchased a hand held Uniden BC75XLT. I've never had one and here is my quandary. I can hear the "weather broadcast...I have 10 Bands programmed with local frequencies nothing locked out when I hit "scan", it only goes to band 1 ,I turn the knob or hit scan and it stays on band one at the top but scanner moves to the various frequencies with a band number to the left of the freq it sees. I can get nothing but constant static until it gets to the weather and that works but nothing else will. The instructions are not really all inclusive and I am wondering how I can get the scanner to pick up local police/fire etc? Can anyone assist me? Sorry I'm a scanner dummy :).

Countrygent65: I have a BC125AT which is almost identical to your scanner. Here is some proper terminology to help you.

Your scanner has 300 CHANNELS. The number to the left of the frequency is the CHANNEL. You can store one frequency per channel.

Your scanner has 10 BANKS (1-10). The numbers at the top of the display are the banks.

In each BANK, you have 30 CHANNELS. For example:
Bank 1 contains channels 1-30
Bank 2 contains channels 31-60
Bank 3 contains channels 61-90
and so on.

From what you say about your receiving static, it sounds to me like your squelch is turned too low. Try this. Turn the scanner on and let it start to scan. Now, press the HOLD button to stop it from scanning (HOLD should appear in the lower left). Now, rotate the knob on the top of the scanner to go to one of the channels you are getting static on.

Next, Press the FUNCTION button and then right after, press down and release the knob on the top of the scanner. This will bring up the squelch control. Make a note what number it is at. Now, turn the know clockwise to raise the number until the static stops. You may even want to go one more click beyond that. Now, press down and release the knob on the top of the scanner again to exit the squelch control. Now, press scan and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.