• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

aguyindallas

Folks, I am just confused right now...maybe call it frustrated. Not enough time in the day for hobbies and family. Family gets priority of course. My frustration is that I like to pistol shoot, thats my main hobby. I am also mildly interested in scanners. I am in no way a guy that has multiple units in every car we own or anything like that. I just have a lone Pro-97 that works great.

Now....I work full time, and 3-4 days a week of that time, its working from noon to 9pm or later. I hardly have enough family time with wife and kids, let alone time to shoot. This has my time very busy and has kept me from really learning as much as I would like to about scanners and radio comm. I pop on this forum from time to time to look through some posts and stuff like that, but dont really know much beyond basics. I lust to have a extra room in my house that I can go to and just play with the radio, clean guns etc....simple for some folks, hard for people like me.

Just venting a little I guess, but wish I had the time to learn more.....how do your folks juggle all of it?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a job that offords me plenty of on-duty time to play with radios and guns. WEll, I can't really play with my gun, it just sits there :D

well i drive an hour each way to work so I listen then. My wife loves to shoot so she joins me on the range as much as possible. Man you should see her with one of my AR's.... wow good shot.

I am lucky and have 2 ranges real close to the house one 2 miles one 7. Plus she knows with my work I need the wind down time so i get to spend some time shooting matchees

cellblock776

newbie said:
well i drive an hour each way to work so I listen then. My wife loves to shoot so she joins me on the range as much as possible. Man you should see her with one of my AR's.... wow good shot.
My lady is also a good shot with either of my AR-15s. LOL. It gets expensive when both partners enjoy shooting hi-cap rifles and pistols. I am always looking for good prices on .223 and 9mm ammo. :)
Also, I too have a commute of about an hour but rarely listen to my scanner during the drive, opting instead for NPR radio programs such as All Things Considered, etc. I also spend alot of drive time talking on my TM-D700 VHF/UHF ham radio. It certainly helps my commute seem shorter.
I try to squeeze in some scanner listening like now when I'm sitting at the computer. Of course, spending time with loved ones and housework take away some of the spare time I may have wanted to devote to radio stuff. I'm also lucky to work as a Security Officer at a plant in the New Orleans area and I often listen to my Pro-95 to pass the time. I just finished a 84 hour week, 7 12 hour nights in a row, and was able to listen to quite a lot.
So, really, I don't have much "spare time" to devote to multiple hobbies. I get to the range and shoot when I can. I turn the scanners on when I'm sitting still long enough and I check into the occasional ham radio net as I'm able. Most of us are working and leading busy lives. It's ok that you only have one scanner and not alot of time to listen. Turn it on when you have time and always remember that it's a HOBBY. Your family and job come first. You seem to have your priorities in order so don't let it get you down.
Happy Scanning.

yeah well I shoot matches with my M-1 garands and 1903A3 rifles (30-06). I reload my ammo so it is quite a bit cheaper. Although all the money spent on the dillon xL650 and stuff added up! But being able to load up over 500 rounds an hour at a easy pace makes it worth it :)

She enjoys the 9mm and 45's too.

Figure I spend 85 a 1000 for 9mm to load and 105 for 1000 5.56 so it saves quite a bit and i can make the rounds work great for the guns

vsny

Glad to see I'm not the only one in trouble at "the range".
Got a Colt TrooperII, 6 inch barrel, and the XL can out shoot me, freehand, benchrest, 357 mag., .38, wadcutter..makes no difference.
1) that's why pistol license is in MY name
2) never walk in front of her..ever
3) lock EVERYTHING in a safe bolted to the floor and alarm the door before I go to sleep .
4) pray she doesn't read what I post !!

Domestic tranquility is a wonderful thing.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Multitask

aguyindallas said:
Folks, I am just confused right now...maybe call it frustrated. Not enough time in the day for hobbies and family. Family gets priority of course. My frustration is that I like to pistol shoot, thats my main hobby. I am also mildly interested in scanners. I am in no way a guy that has multiple units in every car we own or anything like that. I just have a lone Pro-97 that works great.

Now....I work full time, and 3-4 days a week of that time, its working from noon to 9pm or later. I hardly have enough family time with wife and kids, let alone time to shoot. This has my time very busy and has kept me from really learning as much as I would like to about scanners and radio comm.
I too am a marksman (pistol and riffle). But I don't practice often, it just comes natrually. I can shoot expert whether I practice or not.

As for the "hobby," involve your family. Get them interested in communications. Then it becomes a hobby and family time all at the same time. Also, take your scanner with you when you are out and about. Taking your scanner with you when you go places kills two birds with one stone, plus you are able to find frequencies you are not able to find at your home. At one job I had, I took my scanner to work and listened to it on my lunch break.

Most of all, enjoy and have fun.

Last edited:

CVPI4Ever

You could be a police officer..lol. You get gun experience and radios to play with....lol..I just killed 2 birds with 1 stone for ya. At the end of the day you get to go home and have family time.

aguyindallas

I do have my wife slightly involved in shooting, thats the good news. Slowly working on the kids as they become old enough/mature enough.

As for involving the wife with scanners, she doesnt care much for it. IF she hears sirens, she tells me to turn it on and see whats up, but I dont get to listen to it too much when at home with the family.

I have a somewhat unique situation for cars. We own 2 cars, but I dont really drive either one of them very much. She rotates between both of them so we keep the miles within reason. I drive a company car and get a new one about every three months or so. They take them away before they hit 5900 miles, never more than that. As such, I dont have ANYTHING permanently mounted in those cars. The cool thing is that currently it is an Acura TSX. This car has a radio input with uses a 1/8" connector, just like the output on my Pro-97. All I have to do is plug in the patch cable and I have my scanner in stereo, very very cool. Currently thats the only Acura with that feature, and I hope we have it in more of them this next model year.

So, anyway, wife is involved a little with the guns, but other than for immediate info in my area, doesnt care much about the scanner. Its all my novelty, lol.

jmp883

My hobbies are radio (I'm a licensed ham and a scanner buff), trains (I'm a railfan/model railroader), motorcycling, and firearms.

The radio hobbies can be enjoyed anytime. When I'm home at least one scanner and one ham radio is always on. In the car the ham rig is always on, scanning either the ham bands for contacts to make, or the public safety/railroad bands if I don't feel like talking. I railfan when the weather is good, so I can get good photography. The model railroad generally sits during the spring/summer/fall because I'm outdoors railfanning and motorcycling. In the winter though, it's full-bore working on the model trains. Motocycling only during the spring/summer/fall. I often combine riding with railfanning...put the camera bag in one of the saddlebags or the trunk of the bike and I'm off. I haven't taken any of my pistols out in about 4 or 5 years now since there are no local ranges to me anymore.

As for time to enjoy my hobbies that is not a problem. I work a 12-hour shift, 6pm-6am, on a 2-night on/2-night off rotation. Every other weekend is a 3-day weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun), so I have plenty of time to enjoy my various hobbies.

Obviously I'm single, which at age 41 kind of sucks but I have yet to find a lady who is tolerant of all of my hobbies. Strangely enough the hobby most of them object to (and object strongly to) is railfanning/model railroading. Go figure.........:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.