Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

626hawkeye

Premium Subscriber
What are you having issues with? Have you tried watching YouTube videos. I believe K4DPS has some good videos on YouTube. I know I had issues and his videos helped allot.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like it would be easier for you to list what you want to monitor and ask if someone could build a Favorites List (FL) for you. List the state AND the counties where the services you would like to monitor are located. Then list the services (Fire, police, EMS, air, railroad, etc. ...just the stuff you want.
Or, go to the Radio Reference Forums, scroll down to where you see the states listed (I believe it’s under a heading with the word “Regional” in it.) and post your message there. See if you can find someone close to you that can sit with you and walk you through the programing process. If you are new to the hobby, it’s a daunting task doing it by yourself, with all kinds of pitfalls, the likes of “Nothing To Scan” to name just one, popping up.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have tried to put channels in my 536 scanners I have read all kinds. Can some one please help me !!!!

Have you tried the Zip Code /Range/Services method of programming? It's covered in your manual and is the easiest way to get up and running. Then you can take your time and learn how to customize your programming to your liking.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
It puts all kinds of junk on it and it always say nothing to download

??????
With Sentinel and favorite lists, YOU completely control what goes on your scanner. As to the "nothing to download", you'd have to be much more specific as to when/why this error occurs.

But, again, Sentinel (or ProScan) is the way to go. Manually programming not only is a PITA, you can't see on a screen what you are doing - much more prone to mistakes.

People are here to help - need details.....

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Agree with nessnet. It sounds like you are new to the hobby (or at least to the new scanner). That’s why getting together with someone in person can help a lot. I have helped a few newbies just by asking them to show me how they were programming and immediately recognized where they were going wrong.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
ok i guess

Mr Longfeather1:
I'm not trying to come across as brusk here. Many of us have been there, me included. When I got my 1st TRX1, I even returned the first one, thinking it was defective. Turns out, it wasn't - it was ME, programming it incorrectly. Yes, it's certainly VERY easy to get frustrated.

Now, through reading, asking and experimentation, I (think) I have the hang of it. I am to the point I program very detailed rectangles into my locations and have a 100 and 200 that do pretty much exactly what I want - where I want. You will also get the hang of this, eventually.

So...... help us to help you.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you watched any Youtube videos on using Sentinel? There are many good ones available.

Yes it is a steep and frustrating learning curve. It is okay to make mistakes as most of us have ourselves. Just be patient and remember it is a process just like with any other complex electronic device and software.

guruuno

AND, therein lies the point, the issue.
If scanners are for 'hobby-ist's', and the 'newbie' wants to get their toes dipped in to se what it's all about, rather than make it a convoluted, multi-faceted learning curve, maybe someone should produce (for cost?) an easy to follow step by step hand holding intro.
Sure, the YouTube vides are helpful, but I myself have bought many a scanners, and the biggest problem is that although they are still for sale, if you live in a part of the country where things are not "scannable" for whatever reason, what's the point?

Arkmood

what's the point?
Suggestion: you move beyond what is "not scannable", to something that is scannable - One example: some of my best entertainment/intel comes from monitoring school bus communications, good % not encrypted/uhf vhf repeaters/1or2 freqs to enter - not much "hand holding"/learning curve required...

twotoejoe

If you are getting 'Nothing to Download' messages you probably have all Service Types unchecked. In Sentinel click on Edit, then Edit Profile and then click on the 'Service Types' and check which ones you want to scan in your area. Then use the zip code feature to program you local freqs. You can then write what you have on the scanner to Sentinel and edit it to suite you from there. Good luck and feel free to contact me if I can help you further.

Status
Not open for further replies.