Conneaut (Ohio) Police New MARCS Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakeshoreemergency

Premium Subscriber
My wife and I are heading out to the store and we're strongly considering purchasing a new Uniden BCD396XT with hopes of picking up the Conneaut Police Department's traffic after recently upgrading to the MARCS digital system. Can anybody confirm that we'll be able to pick them up? Does anyone know if they're using an encryption method that will keep the new scanner from picking them up? The fire department (which I'm a member of) is still using narrow-banded analog VHF and we already have a scanner and my FD radio, so basically, if we can't pick up the police with the new digital scanner, there's no real need to spend the $400 on a new scanner.

Help? Thanks!

kf8yk

Conneaut PD is using Kenwood's NXDN digital format on 155.625 MHz. They were using MARCS a while back but were not satisfied with portable radio coverage in the city, I'm not sure if they still occasionally use the MARCS system or if everything is on NXDN.

Unfortunately no scanners support NXDN, but there is software that may be able to decode it: Digital Speech Decoder (software package) - The RadioReference Wiki

lakeshoreemergency

Premium Subscriber
Conneaut PD is using Kenwood's NXDN digital format on 155.625 MHz. They were using MARCS a while back but were not satisfied with portable radio coverage in the city, I'm not sure if they still occasionally use the MARCS system or if everything is on NXDN.

Unfortunately no scanners support NXDN, but there is software that may be able to decode it: Digital Speech Decoder (software package) - The RadioReference Wiki

Okay, I think I understand what you're saying... So, the BCD396XT that we bought last night will more than likely not do us any good for the Conneaut PD reception?

I just don't want to keep the scanner if it's not going to be worth the $400 I spent on it. That's a pretty big chunk of change. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.