Connect+ DMR Talkgroups multi sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NM9X

Do talkgroups on Connect+ DMR automatically transmit from all sites? For example if all of a company's radio users are in one area connected to the nearest same site, will their traffic talkgroups be heard on a scanner that's monitoring a different site on the network?

troymail

Silent Key
Do talkgroups on Connect+ DMR automatically transmit from all sites?

I cannot say for sure with 100% certainty but I suspect the answer is - no.

There is no reason to carry traffic on a talkgroup in all sites if the user set is local to one site. In an extreme example - if you have a multi-state system and a set of users on one talkgroup only operates in a town of one state, why would you carry it in other states? That's wasteful user of "valuable" bandwidth the provider would want to use to make more money.

However, system admins can set up systems in whatever way suits their needs.

NM9X

I cannot say for sure with 100% certainty but I suspect the answer is - no.

There is no reason to carry traffic on a talkgroup in all sites if the user set is local to one site. In an extreme example - if you have a multi-state system and a set of users on one talkgroup only operates in a town of one state, why would you carry it in other states? That's wasteful user of "valuable" bandwidth the provider would want to use to make more money.

However, system admins can set up systems in whatever way suits their needs.

I've been wondering if that may be the case...

Do you think it's possible that once any particular radio from the scenario above roams out of site A onto site B then site B would begin transmitting its talkgroup(s) and once that radio returns to site A then site B stops relaying that traffic?

Just trying to figure out some unexplained silence form saved TGIDs when I am traveling between connect+ sites...

troymail

Silent Key
Do you think it's possible that once any particular radio from the scenario above roams out of site A onto site B then site B would begin transmitting its talkgroup(s) and once that radio returns to site A then site B stops relaying that traffic?

Very likely - but again, it depends on how the system is configured by the owners.

For P25 public safety systems - at least in my area - radios roam into various footprints causing the talkgroup to be heard for a while on that site. Then, at some point, things go quiet - probably because all radios on that talkgroup have left that site footprint.

I would expect other newer types of multi-site systems (DMR, NXDN, etc.) to do the same.

NM9X

Very likely - but again, it depends on how the system is configured by the owners.

For P25 public safety systems - at least in my area - radios roam into various footprints causing the talkgroup to be heard for a while on that site. Then, at some point, things go quiet - probably because all radios on that talkgroup have left that site footprint.

I would expect other newer types of multi-site systems (DMR, NXDN, etc.) to do the same.

That would explain why I hear IL State Police (P25) for my districts and each surrounding district but not the most distant districts... maybe I should stop emulating your avatar lol.
Thanks!

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
As I understand it, at least one unit must affiliate with a given site, then any traffic on that talkgroup will be carried on that site. If no units are affiliated on that site, then no talkgroups will be heard on that site.

NM9X

As I understand it, at least one unit must affiliate with a given site, then any traffic on that talkgroup will be carried on that site. If no units are affiliated on that site, then no talkgroups will be heard on that site.

That makes sense... The company I work for uses Motorola 6580 radios with lcd display. When you power them on, it displays the site # briefly, then channel name. That must be where it affiliates with the system site. At work it is site 15 Bloomington/Normal, IL but where I live is nearer a different site (004 Argenta site). I never hear company traffic when I'm on Argenta site 004 (edit - monitoring with my scanner). This is on the ClearTalk DMR 491 system. Thanks

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I can confirm that Connect Plus trunking will NOT pass talkgroups through on sites that do NOT have affiliated users present. If I scan from one talkgroup that i am affiliated on, trying to monitor a second talkgroup, unless there is a user on that second talkgroup affiliated to the same site as I am on talkgroup 1, then I will NOT hear traffic on talkgroup 2.

P25 systems have the capability for the controller to be programmed to "always" transmit on all or specified sites. This would typically be done in the case of a countywide alert channel, or FD dispatch talkgroup, where you would have users wanting to scan it and always be able to hear it regardless of what site their selected talkgroup is affiliated on. I believe Connect Plus might have that capability as well, at least according to the MotoTRBO manuals I have perused. Probably not something instituted frequently.

Connect Plus radios have something similar to a "home" site, which is selected in the programming, which tells the radio which site it should try first. It is "site 1" on my Fisher TeamTalk radio, so they probably put more repeaters on that site to handle the default affiliations. If you know which site on the system you monitoring gets the most traffic, would be best to utilize that site for scanning, or if using a MotoTRBO radio, try to affiliate with the most popular site on your talkgroup, to ensure the best chance of scanning your secondary talkgroups for traffic.

Paul

NM9X

I can confirm that Connect Plus trunking will NOT pass talkgroups through on sites that do NOT have affiliated users present. If I scan from one talkgroup that i am affiliated on, trying to monitor a second talkgroup, unless there is a user on that second talkgroup affiliated to the same site as I am on talkgroup 1, then I will NOT hear traffic on talkgroup 2.

P25 systems have the capability for the controller to be programmed to "always" transmit on all or specified sites. This would typically be done in the case of a countywide alert channel, or FD dispatch talkgroup, where you would have users wanting to scan it and always be able to hear it regardless of what site their selected talkgroup is affiliated on. I believe Connect Plus might have that capability as well, at least according to the MotoTRBO manuals I have perused. Probably not something instituted frequently.

Connect Plus radios have something similar to a "home" site, which is selected in the programming, which tells the radio which site it should try first. It is "site 1" on my Fisher TeamTalk radio, so they probably put more repeaters on that site to handle the default affiliations. If you know which site on the system you monitoring gets the most traffic, would be best to utilize that site for scanning, or if using a MotoTRBO radio, try to affiliate with the most popular site on your talkgroup, to ensure the best chance of scanning your secondary talkgroups for traffic.

Paul

You're right... I tested this over the weekend with a radio on the Con+ network and found that as soon as it affiliated with a different site, my scanner, which was locked on a nearby site, stopped receiving transmissions when I keyed the mic. I'm sure that's an efficient use of network system resources but it stinks for the scanner using another site.

troymail

Silent Key
I'm sure that's an efficient use of network system resources but it stinks for the scanner using another site.

Yeah - they don't care about us scanner users :lol: For new(er) scanner users, it can even make them think their scanner is broken.

Each new improvement in the communication technology makes the hobby more challenging.

slicerwizard

You're right... I tested this over the weekend with a radio on the Con+ network and found that as soon as it affiliated with a different site, my scanner, which was locked on a nearby site, stopped receiving transmissions when I keyed the mic. I'm sure that's an efficient use of network system resources but it stinks for the scanner using another site.
You're describing the operation of virtually every networked (multi-site) trunking system ever made. They tend to not waste limited resources (traffic channels) on nonexistent subscribers.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Every "roaming" (multi site) morotrbo IP site connect system I know if, transmits the TG/conversations over all the repeaters on the system when a user keys up.

troymail

Silent Key
Every "roaming" (multi site) morotrbo IP site connect system I know if, transmits the TG/conversations over all the repeaters on the system when a user keys up.

While I'm sure that is a valid "option" for the system admins/owners, I can't image it's a default... You'd have users in one area potentially tying up channels (frequencies) in areas where no one is listening or cares.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin

Because IP Site Connect isn't a trunked system and is intended to do just that. It's meant to be a multicast type system that broadcasts everything, all the time.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
While I'm sure that is a valid "option" for the system admins/owners, I can't image it's a default... You'd have users in one area potentially tying up channels (frequencies) in areas where no one is listening or cares.

Well it does. That's the way it works, agree or not.

I invite you to consult the Mototrbo system planner for a more thorough explanation, since you apparently are unable to believe mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.