Connect Systems CS-580 DMR handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

va3pkr

I too have this radio. Initially had no issue updating firmware and accessing radio via software, however unable to connect again. Does anyone know of a way to factory reset the radio without connecting to it?

fluke281

CS580 has advantages over Whistler

I have been using the CS580 in the car with a mobile antenna and it demonstrates better sensitivity and faster capture time than my Whistler WS-1088 for DMR. This is probably because of the limited frequency range of the radio. I like its ability to scan DMR for a limited portion of the spectrum and the fact that the radio will display the DMR parameters when it finds a transmission. Since some DMR commercial users are not listed on this site yet or have migrated from analog to DMR, the CS580 is great to locate these sites. I can then look up the frequency on the FCC database and document this info. I am not aware of any other radio that will scan for DMR. Being able to to change DMR info from the front panel is also a unique feature.
It is interesting that when a receive contact folder contains a contact (i.e. a talkgroup) that is present in another receive contact folder, the CS580 display may indicate the channel related to the first folder.
Another nice thing about this radio is that it can be used as a DMR/analog scanner with a price much lower than Whistler's or Uniden's, at least for the growing UHF segment.

n1das

I've been playing with my CS580 for a few weeks now. It's not a replacement at all for my Hytera DMR UHF handhelds but not a bad radio for an entry level DMR radio. I consider it the Baofeng of DMR radios but way better than any Baofeng radio alone. The enhanced monitor feature which allows you to identify and monitor a mystery DMR repeater is a cool feature and is the real reason WHY I bought one of these in the first place. The enhanced monitor feature alone made the radio worth getting.

I like the Tx and Rx audio. I wish it had a little more Rx audio for being able to hear the radio better in loud environments. RF performance seems to be pretty good. I put a UHF Motorola antenna on it and it seems to perform a little better than stock antenna. Battery life on a charge appears to be very good compared to a lot of other radios. Programming via the CPS is straightforward.

My CS-580 is a keeper. :)

hb9pjt

David, I would like to ask you what your Hytera does better than yor CS580.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
CS 580

Still like my radio, but I discovered it has a birdy at 444.000 when I tried to add a Detroit area DMR repeater recently. It is better than other units in the $100-150 range, especially the search feature.

n1das

David, I would like to ask you what your Hytera does better than yor CS580.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

There are too many things to list here that my Hytera PD982 radios do better than the CS-580 and has features the CS-580 doesn't have that I need.

The CS-580 is an entry level Part 90 DMR radio. The PD982 is a top tier DMR radio. Compare the CS-580 to the Hytera PD982: Hytera - Products: PD982

The Enhanced Monitor feature in the CS-580 to be able to identify and listen to a mystery DMR repeater is the one feature that Hytera and Motorola MOTOTRBO radios don't have which made the CS-580 100% worth it. I wouldn't have bothered to get a CS-580 if it weren't for the Enhanced Monitor feature.

Last edited:

n1das

Still like my radio, but I discovered it has a birdy at 444.000 when I tried to add a Detroit area DMR repeater recently. It is better than other units in the $100-150 range, especially the search feature.

I have the same birdie problem on 444.0000 in my CS-580. Some models of my Hyteras have the same birdie. It's a PITA because I own a 444.0000 repeater that's on the air in VT. The (analog) repeater is a homebrewed repeater I put in service several years ago and hasn't had much use. I'm thinking of re-purposing it as a portable GMRS repeater to use at hamfests and for activities at other locations where it's nice to have a local on-site repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.