Connect Systems CS-800 display blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
All,

I've got a CS-800 here on which I did a firmware upgrade following the instructions on the CSI web page to the letter; the firmware update utilities said "upgrade successful" but evidently not, as I've now got a blank display and no display illumination. I suspect partial brickage.

However, when connecting the programming or front panel upgrade cables, the computer goes "ba-doink" and the radio firmware utility indicates "device connected" so there's obviously life in there somewhere.

I've tried powering down and back up again, same result every time.

Any thoughts on the cause and resolution?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Did you upgrade the front panel as well? That's a separate upgrade.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
If all else fails, send the radio in to CSI and they will fix it. They have reset my radio twice now after me doing a stupid programming error in upgrading.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Will it let you try to flash the firmware to the body again? Otherwise, there is this document "Recovering From a Bricked Radio"

Yep, did that too. Seemed to take it, process went just like the "how to upgrade" instructions say it should but the display remains blank.

I looked over that 'De-Bricking' document. I suspect this radio is going to go on a dark, dusty shelf not to be seen for awhile; a fix involving uploads and downloads is one thing, but a tricky process involving shorting two tiny circuit pads together while simultaneously having to do other stuff and which could result in a totally fried radio rather than a bricked one is something I don't have time to fool around with right now.

In any case, the radio itself doesn't seem to be bricked; it responds to both of the power-up sequences (P1+power, P7+power) just as it should. It's just that the display is blank, which leads me to believe it's a front panel issue (separate radio and front panel firmware is another gripe I won't get into, but Motorola and Harris do it too, so my ire can be aimed in multiple directions).

If all else fails, send the radio in to CSI and they will fix it. They have reset my radio twice now after me doing a stupid programming error in upgrading.

I have to wonder about the design of this radio. I've been programming Motorola, Harris and other brand commercial radios for years; if there's a critical programming error, the software tells you so in a variety of ways so that the radio doesn't get roached.

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
On my CS 800D I did the firmware update but somehow forgot to put the radio in Programming mode. Yep it bricked the radio. I called Connect Systems and got a RAN and sent it in, came back a week or so later and worked fine. Cost me shipping one way, but it was my fault anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.