• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Connect tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCO

If you have a scanner you don't need it and no scanner displays it.

The CT is used for programming radios to transmit and function on the system, which is something you shouldn't be doing... :)

Mtnbiker:
Can you be more specific on what scanners directly use Connect Tone info, or actually display it. SInce my error last night, I'd read quite a bit more about the use of CT's and thought I had an understanding of why a scanner wouldn't need it..... Not challenging, just trying to understand...

Not the first time this has come up..

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
Your Pro106's display of "CT" is GRE's abbreviation for CTCSS, not Connect Tone. The difference is defined earlier in this thread.. (Hey, gain a little knowledge, share it....) <grin>

I'm more than familiar with the difference...but I'm looking at my scanner right now that's showing a CT: 138.46 Hz (NOT a standard CTCSS tone, but in fact a connect tone) for the statewide system. And the local public safety system is 116.13 Hz, also not a standard CTCSS tone.

Although they serve similar purposes, they are two different things with two separate standard values.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Mtnbiker:
Can you be more specific on what scanners directly use Connect Tone info, or actually display it. SInce my error last night, I'd read quite a bit more about the use of CT's and thought I had an understanding of why a scanner wouldn't need it..... Not challenging, just trying to understand...

Not the first time this has come up..

Just to chime in, scanners don't NEED/USE a Connect Tone like a professional two-way would need. It does however assist in us hobbyists to tracking systems. If I come across a conventional 800 MHz frequency with a PL tone of 91.5...then there's a good chance that's using a connect tone of 90.00 Hz on a trunked system. In a dense area of trunked systems, this makes it easier to narrow down what frequency belongs to what system, especially when you're out and about without internet and only have your own database to work off of.

From what I've read, the basic concept of a connect tone is similar to that of a CTCSS tone used in conventional systems, although not that simple.

Gain some knowledge and share it right? :D

OCO

Here's what I found last night that describes the function of Control Tone in the overall trunking protocol chain. (written by some guy named Wayne a few years ago).
As afar as the relationship between the CTCSS frequency and the CT's, I've seen at least one thread about CTs in which Slicerwizard didn't think so.

The thing that I've learned is that the Control Tone question comes up almost as often as "streaming good/bad". Too bad I didn't pay more attention a few years ago when I occupied office space with the MPSCS engineers...:D

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Read what ecps92 said on page 1 on this thread.

If you're searching say 850-869 band. You might run across a freq with a NAC Code. You would know it belongs to one trunked system after you match it with [SystemID & Connect Tone]. but still have to narrow it down to the site it's coming from.

Like if you search 380-390 and come across NAC140. You would know it belongs to a 14C system site somewhere!

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Here's what I found last night that describes the function of Control Tone in the overall trunking protocol chain. (written by some guy named Wayne a few years ago).
That would be me.

It's nice to have in the database more for reference purposes. Sometimes systems propagate far enough that it's possible you could run in to two licensees using the same freq and it being Moto trunked. Using different connect tones will keep audio from being passed similar to how a PL in conventional use.

When you program in the incorrect CT for a system and initiate a TG call you get a channel assigned to you but when you switch to the voice channel the system sees the wrong CT and drops the channel after a specified time. Not exactly a full-proof way of staying off a system if one wants to illegitimately program in a trunked system but some may see it as helping.

And the GRE's will display the CT when you park on the CC in tune or whatever mode supports CC decode.

OCO

Well, I guess another RR user (me) has been educated on the CT subject. I thought for a layman I at least half understood the trunking protocol - guess again!

Wayne - interesting old website.. Like the Long Lines history stuff - brought back memories (4 lines to NCIC down at 3:00 AM....... oh crap!.)

ecps92

And yes, some Scanner Manuf. used CT for PL/DPL/CTCSS

Too many Acronyms.

NCIC is down ? Not here, Phew :cool:
NICS - Up
NLETS - Up
NCIC - Up
:roll:

Well, I guess another RR user (me) has been educated on the CT subject. I thought for a layman I at least half understood the trunking protocol - guess again!

Wayne - interesting old website.. Like the Long Lines history stuff - brought back memories (4 lines to NCIC down at 3:00 AM....... oh crap!.)

nwassist

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Thank you everyone for their input and great education!

jets1961

actually the 106 does dispaly connect tone.

The Pro 106 does display the connect tone just like trunker does.

Why do people assume the guy has bad intent if he asked a question

Way to many internet police wannabee`s in this site.

Your Pro106's display of "CT" is GRE's abbreviation for CTCSS, not Connect Tone. The difference is defined earlier in this thread.. (Hey, gain a little knowledge, share it....) <grin>

OCO

If you've read the entire thread, the PRO106 's abilities were already confirmed and other questions were answered, all quite amicably and to the apparent satisfaction of the OP. Since you didn't participate at the time two weeks ago, what's your point now?:roll:

ecps92

SHHHHH, invoke your rights, the Police Commissioner is lurking :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.