Connecticut PSAP Consolidation Study report

Status
Not open for further replies.

eclipse175

Hah.... 3 or 4 regional psaps? Please.... Ct has far too many small towns and communities with residents who would flip out if their 911 calls were going to mass call centers. This isn't computer tech support it's 911. Interesting read none the less. Thanks Chris.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Not really... it can work. The problem is that CT has always been a "hometown castle" and no one wants to give up their fifedom.

If implemented properly, it works well. I was fairly against the idea of it back when first proposed in 2000, but having worked with PSAPs in other areas of the county, it works great with reduced costs.

I worked for a county out west that is larger than the entire state of CT (8000+ sq miles) with a population of over 600,000. The fire department ran with 3-4 dispatchers and the sheriff's department ran about the same depending on time of day etc. CHP had their own as well as one of the city departments.

Effective CAD system and call taking a discplined communications - and it worked great.

Also out west, several states (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc) granted not LARGE population states - have statewide PSAPs for the highway patrol, fish and game, DOT etc.

For effective call taking, you do not need to know the town(s) if you have a proper CAD system in effect. Many northeast dispatchers will sit on the phone and chat and/or try to blow off calls so cops don't have to go somewhere. As long as you get a name, number, address and chief complaint - your good to go.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Technologically, yes it can work. Will it happen? Not likely.

There would be the perception, real or imagined, of the state trying to dictate how the municipalities run the services. Just think of all the issues that would have to be figured out between all the municipalities and agencies. From funding the hundreds of additional employees in the state centers to the loss of funding in each center from the phone assessments. How about who runs the centers (I bet the CSP will want to be right there)?

It would be adding another layer of people handling the calls for most towns making it less efficient.

chris

KB1JHU

CT went down this path because there has never been a strong county government system. Every town was left to fend for themselves. The more rural areas of the state got their stuff together and created their own little regional centers for Fire & EMS and a lot of those areas are covered by CSP/Constables for law enforcement so that was covered by the Troops. The majority of the "problem children" are in Fairfield, New Haven, & Hartford Counties. I can't imagine CT ever slimming down to 3 regional centers & 1 CSP center.

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
If it happens it will take years and the budget outlook would have to be much better. Even if the budget outlook was perfect it would take years if not a decade before any plan would be implemented.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Read most parts of the report, and I would agree they are on crack with three centers. It would almost be better off with one per county just for geographical reasons alone. That would be manageable.

What really needs to happen is a complete overhaul on how emergency services operates and cooperates with each other and standardize everything from dispatching/call taking and boundry lines. Consolidation of services could happen as well.

Expanded state police or creation of "County Police" would actually have a positive effect on the law enforcement side as well as fire district consolidation. However in the northeast, and especially Connecticut, politically thats just not going to happen. Everyone wants local control.

Unless mandated by the state legistalture (yeah I can spell today), its just not going to happen.

The way I see it happening is mostly as described above, with towns of 50,000 or more (less depending on need) staying a seperate entitiy for obvious reasons.

If it can work in many other states/counties, there is no reason why it can't work here.

People don't like change, even if its for the greater good.

kmacinct

Psap

Ahhh,
The OSET PSAP Consolidation Study Report..

A reason, for many towns to be scared...
A reason, for many town to use this piece of paper come budget time...
A reason, for those financially responsible agencies to say "See, we have already done that".

It's 100% about money - if a certain town(s) want to keep their OWN CENTER - they can - it's just going to cost them....
This is strictly a political document... That's all...

Km

Status
Not open for further replies.