Connecting a CB on 1 antenna line

Status
Not open for further replies.

XPS720

Premium Subscriber
I have 3 scanners on a single antenna with a splitter. CB radio signals are coming in very strong now. I now have a new antenna outside and I want to get a CB to transmit on it. What do I need to do to put this , CB if I get it, on this line with receivers?

prcguy

You can get a diplexer that will allow the CB to transmit if your antenna is rated for that and the diplexer will separate signals 30MHz and below to the CB and signals above 30MHz to the scanners. It works fine and will not damage your scanners.

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

Put another way, you should not transmit on an antenna also connected to your scanners.

It needs to be a separate antenna with some distance/elevation between them.

On my truck the 100w ham radio antenna is about 4 feet from the scanner antenna.

At home my 100w amateur antenna is 40 feet from the discone my scanners and other receivers share. All receivers are connected to one of these. Multicouplers which is in turn connected to the discone.

My 160 foot 1500w OCF high frequency antenna is about 20 feet above and 10 feet away from the discone mentioned above.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A diplexer/triplexer won't work if you're trying to receive CB frequencies with the scanners.

prcguy

I read the OP wants to add a CB and transmit on the same "line" that the scanners are connected to. A diplexer that passes HF through 30MHz on one port and 30Mhz and higher on the other port will work fine. The antenna will feed CB signals to the CB and he can transmit on the CB without hurting the scanners, and the scanners will get VHF/UHF/800 frequencies above 30Mhz just fine.

I'm doing something similar right now with much more power than a CB on transmit and it works great.

A diplexer/triplexer won't work if you're trying to receive CB frequencies with the scanners.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What antenna is the line going to? If it's a CB antenna, the scanners aren't going to pick up much other than CB, and not even that if a diplexer is used. Need to know what bands the OP is trying to receive with the scanners, and what antenna(s) are at the other end of the coax.

prcguy

The OP says CB signals are coming in strong and that he got a new antenna that apparently you can transmit on with a CB. He must understand that with a diplexer, the CB is the only thing that will receive and possibly transmit on CB. CB signals would not be routed to the scanners and they would only get VHF/UHF, etc. More info from the OP would be nice.

What antenna is the line going to? If it's a CB antenna, the scanners aren't going to pick up much other than CB, and not even that if a diplexer is used. Need to know what bands the OP is trying to receive with the scanners, and what antenna(s) are at the other end of the coax.

Status
Not open for further replies.