Connecting BCD396XT scanner to FREESCAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyJr88

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden BCD396XT Scanner and previously set up all my channels and groups through FREESCAN. I want to edit some of those channels now and when I connect my scanner to my computer and have the FREESCAN program open my scanner wont connect. How do I get it to connect so I can see all my frequencies in FREESCAN?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Are you using the native RS232 port on your PC (if it has one) or a USB adapter? If the USB adapter, then you need to determine what COM port is being assigned to the adapter when you plug that cable into your PC.

JeffreyJr88

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the native RS232 port on your PC (if it has one) or a USB adapter? If the USB adapter, then you need to determine what COM port is being assigned to the adapter when you plug that cable into your PC.

I have a RS232 connecte to a USB that connects to my computer. How do I got about switching that around to the right settings?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What COM port does the USB cable show up as when you plug it into your computer?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'm not actually familiar with using Freescan. But, I am sure there is a setup menu in there somewhere.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From the FreeScan user guide (you can get to it via Help / Online Help from within FreeScan), see the bottom of this page

Freescan - Connecting Scanner to PC - The RadioReference Wiki

The easy way to get to this form is from Scanner / Control Scanner then click on the Setup Com Port button. Assuming you have your USB drivers loaded (sounds like you have) and the scanner is configured as mentioned in the article, this will get you started...

Mike

rbm

You can try this.

Rich

FreeSCAN has a good function to check com ports.

BEFORE! you plug in your cable do the following:

.At the top, under 'SCANNER'
.. Select 'CONTROL SCANNER'
...Select 'COM Port Setup'
....Click on the dropdown box for 'Port #' and note any ports there.
..... Then, plug in your USB1 cable and click 'REFRESH'
..... Then click on the dropdown box again.
..... You should see one more port than before. If not, your cable 'may' be bad. (or correct driver is not installed)

If FreeSCAN does see your cable, once it's connected to your scanner you can click on 'TEST' and it 'should' tell you what kind of scanner is connected.

If you do see the COM port show up, and the speed of the COM port matches the speed set in the scanner, and you STILL can't talk to the scanner, you may have a cable or driver problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.