Connecting to Scanner

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct place for this, but it's the best I could find.

I have a 396XT that was loaned to a friend several years back. He no longer needs it, so it's been returned to me.

I'm going to use it for local scanning and need to update some of the programming. I'd also like to update the firmware as it's several versions old.

The problem is I can't get the computer and the scanner to talk to each other. I have the original serial programming cable and an IO Gear USB<->Serial Adapter. I downloaded and installed the latest version of the driver. Neither Pro Scan nor ARCXT will communicate with the scanner. Looking in device manager, I see an error message that there is no device connected and (Code 10).

I researched that and it seems to be a generic error. I followed the advice to change the Port number, but that didn't work.

As I said, I used this cable combination in the past, but now it won't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I suppose I could buy a new USB cable, but this should work.

Any help would be appreciated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct place for this, but it's the best I could find.

I have a 396XT that was loaned to a friend several years back. He no longer needs it, so it's been returned to me.

I'm going to use it for local scanning and need to update some of the programming. I'd also like to update the firmware as it's several versions old.

The problem is I can't get the computer and the scanner to talk to each other. I have the original serial programming cable and an IO Gear USB<->Serial Adapter. I downloaded and installed the latest version of the driver. Neither Pro Scan nor ARCXT will communicate with the scanner. Looking in device manager, I see an error message that there is no device connected and (Code 10).

I researched that and it seems to be a generic error. I followed the advice to change the Port number, but that didn't work.

As I said, I used this cable combination in the past, but now it won't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I suppose I could buy a new USB cable, but this should work.

Any help would be appreciated.
With your cables (programming & your USB<->Serial adapter) connecting the scanner & the PC, does the Device Manager indicate that a Com port has been enabled? If one is not shown, or if there is the yellow 'error' triangle next to it, then your adapter is not working correctly, if at all. Even though you have updated the driver, is it, possibly, one that Windows does not recognize?

You might try a Google search for your adapter, & see if an alternate driver is available.

garys

Premium Subscriber
No, the device does not connect at all. Device manager shows the IO gear using Comm Port 7, but the message says no device is connected.

Device Manager also shows Code 10. I've tried changing the comm port to no avail.

I think I looked at Lifewire and tried what they suggest. I'll look again maybe I missed something.

I'm only going to spend so much time before i just buy a USB cable.

When I used this before on this computer, I was running Win7. Both computers i tried this on are running Win10. That should've make a difference, but with Windows weird stuff happens.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
scannermaster USB cable,
ahhh,,,.... it says out of stock.
this is here to give you the idea of a newer cable/
-
This is a plug & play alternative for the Uniden USB-1 cable ($10 cheaper too), I'm currently using 3 of them on Win10 & Win11:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
No, the device does not connect at all. Device manager shows the IO gear using Comm Port 7, but the message says no device is connected.

Device Manager also shows Code 10. I've tried changing the comm port to no avail.

I think I looked at Lifewire and tried what they suggest. I'll look again maybe I missed something.

I'm only going to spend so much time before i just buy a USB cable.

When I used this before on this computer, I was running Win7. Both computers i tried this on are running Win10. That should've make a difference, but with Windows weird stuff happens.
Is the scanner baud rate set to 115200 and not Off? Probably not it though

garys

Premium Subscriber
Both ARCXT and Proscan have that function. Neither can see the scanner.

Yes, the scanner is set to 115200.

One other thing, but I don't think if a factor. The scanner was dropped at some point and the top left corner of the front of the case broke off. Since that's no where near the come port it's unlikely that that is broken. The scanner works great. I forgot how good it is.

I saw that generic adapter on Amazon. That will be my next move.

Freescan has a test / find port option. It will go through all of the ports and baud rates to try to get a match. Works well. It may help.

View attachment 133398

garys

Premium Subscriber
Well, I've made some progress. I resolved the port conflict and device manager now recognizes the IO Gear adapter. The scanner still doesn't communicate with Pro Scan though. I have a second adapter and I'll swap it out. If that doesn't work, maybe the Uniden cable is bad.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
the baud rate and speed of the scanner must match the softwares baud rate and speed. is the scanner turned on and plugged into the computer, if the computer recgonises the scanner you should hear fimilur bong after its turned on.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Both ARCXT and Proscan have that function. Neither can see the scanner.

Yes, the scanner is set to 115200.

One other thing, but I don't think if a factor. The scanner was dropped at some point and the top left corner of the front of the case broke off. Since that's no where near the come port it's unlikely that that is broken. The scanner works great. I forgot how good it is.

I saw that generic adapter on Amazon. That will be my next move.

Was anything plugged into the jack when it was dropped?

garys

Premium Subscriber
Turns out it probably wasn't dropped. I found an old thread where a number of 346 and 396 scanners had this happen spontaneously. Parts are no longer available.

Was anything plugged into the jack when it was dropped?

Last edited: