Connections for Radio Shack PRO-164 to pn 65-3569 ARC-164 UHF antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganu76

Already have the above mentioned Radio Shack handheld scanner and UHF antenna, but I'm not exactly sure what is needed to connect them. I'm trying to extend the scanner's range for picking up mil transmissions. Antenna will be mounted approx 75 feet from scanner.

Manual for the scanner says that I need an RG-8 cable. Could I adapt the end of a regular coax or is it necessary to get a full run of RG-8?

Also, my antenna's PN is MS815/1-01 (NSN 5985-00-217-0457) and I BELIEVE the jack on it is an "N-pin"? If so, Can I again just adapt from coax to N? (or RG-8 to N?) Pics loaded just in case, though I'm sure there are guys here who know exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance guys. Just looking for a way to hear our aircraft as they call in with their discrepancies.

91cc377296d1e692cb563c3fd18795b2.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

cmdrwill

Looks like a type N female connector on your antenna. You can use RG58/AU cable with a male type N connector for short runs, at 75 feet you may use LMR400, LMR240, or RG213. But always get the good cable and connectors from a known manufacture not the cc knock-off stuff.

If using the larger cable, use a flexible jumper with the proper connectors to your scanner so you do not break the connector.

ganu76

Thanks. I've started reading on those you mentioned so as to understand their differences/similarities. I'm assuming the connectors would have to be crimped or soldered? If I could get a cable already having BNC connectors (that's what the scanner looks like it has), I'm also assuming I could use a simple adapter of some sort to go from BNC to a male N without any problems.

Any obstacles I'm overlooking?

Thanks again.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
You stated that your coax cable uses a BNC connector, so I am assuming that your existing cable might be small coax (Rg58 or RG8x, perhaps?). As already mentioned, be aware that using 75+ feet of RG58 or RG8x to monitor UHF signals could be a problem. Small coax is VERY lossy at UHF and much of the signal that you're trying to hear could be lost in the cable before it even gets to your scanner.

If possible, I would suggest using larger, higher-quality coax from your radio location to the antenna, with a shorter jumper section of smaller coax from the end of the larger coax to your radio. In addition, you should consider grounding your coax (for static build-up / lightning protection) before it enters the building if the antenna will be mounted outside.

Good luck with your antenna installation.

John AC4JK

ganu76

Thanks. It is my stock telescoping antenna that is BNC (I believe it's BNC). I'll be building up/buying a cable to go from the scanner to the N pin of my new antenna which indeed will be mounted outside.

Regarding grounding the new antenna, will it be as simple as grounding the shielding to a building?

Again guys, thanks for all of this info.

af95734fc25a0c0d4a27d92c74c3fb34.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.