Connector type loss frequency question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evnldr

Looking to update my connections and ad 50 Ohm Lightning Protector and I ordered P259 connectors. Now I read that that may not bee good due to loss in higher frequency's above 350mhz

Scope of work.

Discone with 259 female connector

Male 259 connector and 20ft LMR400

a suppressor with a female to male female

and finally to a N to bnc connector to scanner

BCD996P2

So in total 3 259 males and a female to female adapter

Not sure if I should toss the 259's I have coming for some N's or not

phask

Premium Subscriber
SImilar setup, thinking of redoing it all as well. My concern is high end disconewith PL259 and my main recetion is 800mhz.

Don't know whether I should pitch it and upgrade to one with type-N or if that one wuld hurt me. Rest will all be N on BNC

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
PL-259 (AKA "UHF") Connectors are less than ideal for higher frequencies, but they'll work.

The issue is that the design will show up as a bump on a TDR, the impedance isn't consistent.

I wouldn't get hung up on it too much if you are not transmitting and you really aren't doing much above 800MHz. Again, not ideal, but they'll work.

Might see a bit of additional loss, but it's still going to be minimal. It will be more important to really pay attention to the waterproofing of the connectors and protecting them in the long term.

If you are buying new, sure, go with N connectors if it's an option, but I wouldn't tear your system apart just to swap out connectors. If you are that much on the fringe of coverage and a few tenths of a dB makes the difference between receiving a signal or not, there are some other things you should be looking at in addition to upgrading the connectors.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I was actually going to ask YOUR advice :)

I have a Diamond disconewith UHF connectors, still in great shape, will replace the factory pigtail with a UHF to Type n, the go from there.

Still undecides whether LMR-400 or something else (around 35' - 45') to the arrestor (typeN) , then maybe 240 thru the wall and to a multicoupler.

PL-259 (AKA "UHF") Connectors are less than ideal for higher frequencies, but they'll work.

The issue is that the design will show up as a bump on a TDR, the impedance isn't consistent.

I wouldn't get hung up on it too much if you are not transmitting and you really aren't doing much above 800MHz. Again, not ideal, but they'll work.

Might see a bit of additional loss, but it's still going to be minimal. It will be more important to really pay attention to the waterproofing of the connectors and protecting them in the long term.

If you are buying new, sure, go with N connectors if it's an option, but I wouldn't tear your system apart just to swap out connectors. If you are that much on the fringe of coverage and a few tenths of a dB makes the difference between receiving a signal or not, there are some other things you should be looking at in addition to upgrading the connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.