Yaesu: Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivers1234

What is this? I thought it was a male sma to male uhf. I'm trying to connect ft2dr to base antenna.

8dea12275768be9f524f70ec3b2c11d4.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looks like a female SMA to a female SO-239 (AKA UHF)

The other trick you have to watch out for is the "RP" connectors, which are the reverse polarity connectors used on a lot of Wi-Fi gear. The outer shield will be one gender and the center pin will be the opposite. Really annoying if you get one by accident.

I think what you need is a male SMA to UHF. You could buy an adapter to make that cable work, but it's probably easier to just order the right one.

Delivers1234

Looks like a female SMA to a female SO-239 (AKA UHF)

The other trick you have to watch out for is the "RP" connectors, which are the reverse polarity connectors used on a lot of Wi-Fi gear. The outer shield will be one gender and the center pin will be the opposite. Really annoying if you get one by accident.

I think what you need is a male SMA to UHF. You could buy an adapter to make that cable work, but it's probably easier to just order the right one.

I thought male meant the connecter goes into...
???

SCPD

QRT
Here's a photo example, Delivers-- a Female SMA

Attachments

• SMA female 5PIN-3-600x600.jpg
    SMA female 5PIN-3-600x600.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 537

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Last edited:

k6cpo

What is this? I thought it was a male sma to male uhf. I'm trying to connect ft2dr to base antenna.

8dea12275768be9f524f70ec3b2c11d4.jpg

This a adapter cable to connect HT radios like Baofeng and some older Wouxuns to coaxial cable. These radios use a "Reverse SMA connector" which is the opposite of a normal SMA like you'll find on Yaesu.

prcguy

No, Baofengs, Wouxuns, Motorola and other simply have a male SMA on the radio chassis and the mating antenna needs to have a female SMA. A female SMA has external threads as your adapter cable and a socket or hole for the center. The male will have internal threads and a protruding pin. As mentioned by others, a standard connector sex is determined by the center pin with a protruding pin being a make and a socket or hole being a female. The picture posted by Coyote-Frostbite is a standard female SMA.

A "reverse" SMA is a much later invention where the male will have external threads like your adapter cable and a protruding pin down inside. The corresponding reverse female SMA will have internal threads and a hole or socket in the center.
prcguy

This a adapter cable to connect HT radios like Baofeng and some older Wouxuns to coaxial cable. These radios use a "Reverse SMA connector" which is the opposite of a normal SMA like you'll find on Yaesu.

Delivers1234

No, Baofengs, Wouxuns, Motorola and other simply have a male SMA on the radio chassis and the mating antenna needs to have a female SMA. A female SMA has external threads as your adapter cable and a socket or hole for the center. The male will have internal threads and a protruding pin. As mentioned by others, a standard connector sex is determined by the center pin with a protruding pin being a make and a socket or hole being a female. The picture posted by Coyote-Frostbite is a standard female SMA.

A "reverse" SMA is a much later invention where the male will have external threads like your adapter cable and a protruding pin down inside. The corresponding reverse female SMA will have internal threads and a hole or socket in the center.
prcguy

You all are confusing me. I ended up ordering this but my coax cable is very stiff/sturdy. I'm afraid if I move the ht I'll start losing the sma connection from the ft-2dr. I didn't find the dongle kind that had about 5 inches of thin wire in between. I'll look for that one. It's for a temp setup until I get a base radio.
416362a1326010e205037175aed9509c.jpg

prcguy

The FT-2DR has a standard female SMA connector on the radio and you would need a standard SMA male connector on a jumper cable to fit. Your original jumper cable appears to have a standard SMA female and you found it doesn't work.

Your right about the adapter on your larger cable in the picture putting stress on the radio connector and a jumper with smaller coax is a better way to go.
prcguy

k6cpo

prcguy

The first Chinese radios were said to have a "reverse SMA" connector because it was just the opposite of the SMA connector on Yaes, iCom and Kenwood radios. It was recessed into the body of the radio instead of protruding from the top. The adapter the OP shows in his original is for those radios.

You all are confusing me. I ended up ordering this but my coax cable is very stiff/sturdy. I'm afraid if I move the ht I'll start losing the sma connection from the ft-2dr. I didn't find the dongle kind that had about 5 inches of thin wire in between. I'll look for that one. It's for a temp setup until I get a base radio.

What you need is exactly the same thing you showed in your original photograph but with the following SMA connector on it. I've used this one on three different Yaesu HTs and, with a BNC adapter, a couple of scanners and an Alinco 22 HT.

i-VDK2xSc.jpg

This adapter can be found at HRO: COMET-NCG HS-05 Cables Coaxial, HS05

Status
Not open for further replies.