Connex maxing out Wilson 5000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connex_runner

Ok so I ran a test today where I was driving down a very long straight country road and had a person on a small base station on one end of the road and me driving straight away from them. I started to loose them at between 6-7 miles.

I have a connex 33HP-ATC with a Wilson 5000 magnet mount dead square in the middle of my quad cab pick-ups roof. Swr has been reading 1:1-1.1:1. I was told with the peak and tune running @ 60 watts I should hit 10 miles easy.

I looked up the more info on my antenna and it seems it's maximum range is 5-7 miles. Is this true? And if so what kind of antenna should I get that would match my radio better?

sloop

I assume that you are using the Connex (10 meter amateur radio) on CB frequencies...if that is the case then the range that you are getting is about average for CB am even at higher power (modulated 60 watts). The Wilson 5000 antenna is a good antenna, but to get better range you will have to go to one of the long (approx. 9 foot) whips. Not a compact antenna like the Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.