Cons to installing antenna under unmarked vehicle?

scterran

For our unmarked cars, our vendor has mounted our 1/4 wave 7/800 antenna to the undercarriage of the vehicle for an APX radio on a trunked P25 system. I'm now hearing some concerns from other sources. So, should I be concerned or not? I'm interested in hearing arguments for and against.

WB9YBM

I'm not sure what you're concerned about...but I've heard these types of antennas being used several decades ago (although at that time they hadn't pushed to such high frequencies as what's being used today, which changes the picture a bit). I'm guessing that given today's technology if someone wants to communicate discretely they'd probably use cell 'phones instead of worrying about "Secret Squirrel" radio equipment.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Cons would include poor performance on both TX and RX because of shielding from the vehicle. I hope the installer checked the SWR of the antenna!

Pros include being really hard to detect the antenna. Hopefully the radio was also hidden from sight.

Depending on vehicle, a disguised antenna that replaces the "shark fin" roof antenna used for in-car navigation systems or mounting the 1/4 wave spike inside the vehicle on the rear deck and covering it with a hat or tissue box may have offered better performance.