Considering 536HP. Is it near EOL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryntha

So, I've been considering a 536HP for its ProVoice and DMR capability. I'm a bit wary of posting here since there seems to be a lot of angry "Just learn to use search" reactions. But This -is- the prospective owners forum and I haven't seen many posts on the 536HP (though I presume the 436HP is pretty similar..)

Would I be buying into a scanner that's near end-of-life? I'm not sure if anyone knows of an upcoming new release from Uniden that may include DMR and NXDN..

Are both the ProVoice and DMR upgrades easily available after purchase of the scanner?

Thanks, and hope I'm not making the wrong move in asking this..

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
As far as buying a scanner that's near end of life, only Uniden would know that. If you are looking for digital receive, you really can't go wrong buying a 536HP. While I can't speak to the Pro Voice, the DMR is much better with the latest firmware. P25 is excellent.

You can make the Pro Voice and DMR key purchase easily through my.uniden.com.

You also get the Wifi feature to use the scanner remotely. I use this feature with ProScan to log all DMR hits while searching for new users in my area.

As far as NXDN, again, only Uniden knows if it will be released.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
In terms of functionality, definitely not EOL. The 436 and 536 are capable of receiving any digital trunked technology that isn't encumbered in patent/trade secret issues (like Harris OpenSky) except for NXDN. Any notional new model would not be able to receive any additional system types, with the possible exception of NXDN. But it is more likely NXDN capability will be added to the x36 line via a firmware update/upgrade before a new model is released.

Uniden does not publicly discuss unreleased models, so anything you may have heard about a successor to the x36 line is rumors and BS.

Upgrading the scanner is not too difficult. You have to register the scanner with Uniden, supplying the serial number and some other scanner data you have to get from the scanner menu. Then you can buy upgrade keys for the features you want, and enter them in the scanner.

k3fs

It is however likely those radios will be EOL before all the features that were advertised get released. Looks like Uniden has no plans of releasing the Advanced analysis features (a $100 value right there), or the band scope.

When there is a problem, admit it as soon as possible.
Customers are not stupid. Ignoring or denying a legitimate problem is not the way to handle it.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'd be shocked if a replacement for the 436/536 is announced within the next two years.

garys

Premium Subscriber
As would I. Not all that long ago UPMan said something along the lines of "The x36HP scanners will be the flagship products for the foreseeable future." That's not a direct quote, but is the jist of the message. That was in response to one of the whiny "Why hasn't Uniden fixed/added ___________ in the x36HP scanners?" threads.

The scanners have been out a little over four years and there is still room for expansion. I'd like to see some further development of Siren, I'd like Analyze to be easier to use, and I'd like NXDN to be added. Others have other things that they'd like to see.

If I were looking for a top of the line scanner, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a X36HP.

I'd be shocked if a replacement for the 436/536 is announced within the next two years.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I believe the x36 series still have plenty of capability left in them. Would also like to see NXDN and continue fine tuning digital reception. Advancing Siren and Analyze would also be on my list also. Don't think (And Hope) a new flagship will be out until at least 2020.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You never know when a scanner is approaching "End of Life" until just before a new model is announced. Manufacturers don't like to give long term announcements because they end up with stocks of old products.

I think it will be some time before we see any "revolutions" in radio communications. Its only been a relatively short time since the FCC narrowbanding happened, which led to a lot of new systems.

So if I was in need of a new scanner, I wouldn't have any reluctance on purchasing a 536 or 436 depending on what I needed.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Its about time for some new scanners to hit the market but Uniden is not talking.

Yup. UPMan I think learned some valuable lessons from the last back lash from the BCD436 and 536 slaughter fest that was well deserved since what was promised we all paid dearly for it.

Maybe something new is on the horizon but sales have been down. Not sure what else can be added to draw people to drop over 600 dollars cash for new radios since all of them do Phase I and II now and you can get a BCD996P2 for cheap now. So why waste big dollars

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Maybe something new is on the horizon but sales have been down.

How do you know sales are down? Uniden does not publish data on sales.

Do you have a source for that info?

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Yup. UPMan I think learned some valuable lessons from the last back lash from the BCD436 and 536 slaughter fest that was well deserved since what was promised we all paid dearly for it.

Maybe something new is on the horizon but sales have been down. Not sure what else can be added to draw people to drop over 600 dollars cash for new radios since all of them do Phase I and II now and you can get a BCD996P2 for cheap now. So why waste big dollars

I am not aware of any "slaughter fest" over the 436/536. I too would like to know where this "sales are down" came from??

mrwhitee

I think they come from looking online and not seeing very many places that carry the scanners. I would assume that indicates poor sales or the product being discontinued. However, Upman said the x36 line is not on his list to be discontinued anytime soon so who knows. I wouldnt be shocked if they were at least testing a new scanner but thats just me.

I am not aware of any "slaughter fest" over the 436/536. I too would like to know where this "sales are down" came from??

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I want to buy another handheld scanner but the BCD436HP is getting long in the tooth..

How so? It has more features and capabilities than anything else out there. It is not perfect, but in general is better than anything else available.

a non sd card using scanner would be wonderfull

The SD cards are much better then having to drag the computer out and sit in the car while it reprograms.

The scanner is only missing NXDN and DStar as publically documented modes. It would be cool to add SSB.

The only thing I would change from the 536 to a next generation model would be to make the processor faster so that it can load large SD card lists faster. I'd also significantly increase the 1mb limit per file.

As it is, I can't make a list that does DMR ham with the callsign DB in the list to translate from DMR numbers to callsigns as I would need at least 2mb to fit the list. I have several lists that I need to break into parts as I'm bumping into the 1mb limit

I'd also ask that Uniden publically document the file format (hpe).

It already has everything else. It's quite sensitive, it scans very quickly, it has many bands, the display does the job, and it's relatively easy to program once you reverse engineer the file format.

Status
Not open for further replies.