Considering New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ion_op

Hi,

I currently own a Pro-2003 and Pro-2004 scanner and thought I might upgrade so I can monitor trunked systems too. I live in Somerset County and was wondering if it's worth getting a scanner that will receive digital as well as analog trunk systems? Cant I monitor trunked systems with my 2004 by programming the channels in?

Considering the Pro-2055/2096, BCT15/BCD996T.

Tnx,

Mike

RocketNJ

the 996 is excellent. I've got one and am very happy with it.

You can monitor the voice channels on the trunked system with a conventional scanner but if there are multiple conversations on the system at once it will be very difficult to follow a conversation.

DJ88

You will also be stuck listening to everything on the system, whereas, with a trunk tracking scanner, you can just program the talk groups you want to listen to. Another thing to keep in mind, if you want to monitor the State Police Troop B, you may want to think about a digital scanner because the state systems will eventually be digital, although I don't now an exact time line. I believe I read that there are already some digital talk groups on Troop B. To sum things up, if you want to monitor a trunk system, get a trunk tracking scanner. It makes it that much easier and more enjoyable. If you want to monitor the State Police, get a digital scanner (they all do trunk tracking) and be ahead of the game when they switch to digital.

ctrabs74

ion_op said:
I currently own a Pro-2003 and Pro-2004 scanner and thought I might upgrade so I can monitor trunked systems too. I live in Somerset County and was wondering if it's worth getting a scanner that will receive digital as well as analog trunk systems?

Depending on where in Somerset you live, you may also be close enough to monitor the Morris County TRS, where some TGs are analog, but others are digital. AFA Somerset, IIRC, there are only a few digital TGs at this time, most, if not all, are encrypted (County Prosecutors); John can probably answer Somerset better than I can. If you also plan on monitoring NJSP, you may want to purchase a digital scanner, as they will be migrating from analog to digital ... eventually, depending on whether or not Corzine and those geniuses decide to spend the state's money wisely (yeah, right)...

Status
Not open for further replies.