• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Considering trunking scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ion_op

Hi,

I'm new to trunking and currently own a Pro 2003 and Pro 2004. Radio Shack will be starting another sale and the 2055/2096/96/97 will be onsale. I'd like to get a trunking sanncer and I think it's a good idea to have digital since digital is used in Somerset County, NJ and surrounding areas. I've noticed that the 2096 is missing LTR trunking while the 2055 has it. Will I not be able to receive all possible trunking systems if I get the 2096? I hate to have to buy two scanners to cover this overlap. Is the BCD996T a better choice?

Tnx,

Mike

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
ion_op said:
Hi,

I'm new to trunking and currently own a Pro 2003 and Pro 2004. Radio Shack will be starting another sale and the 2055/2096/96/97 will be onsale. I'd like to get a trunking sanncer and I think it's a good idea to have digital since digital is used in Somerset County, NJ and surrounding areas. I've noticed that the 2096 is missing LTR trunking while the 2055 has it. Will I not be able to receive all possible trunking systems if I get the 2096? I hate to have to buy two scanners to cover this overlap. Is the BCD996T a better choice?

Tnx,

Mike
If you really need LTR, the BCD996T is a better choice. However, you are not really missing much if you don't have LTR, all you really hear is tow truck drivers yapping about hot girls they see when they are driving, etc. There are no government (Police, fire) agencies using LTR.

captclint

Mentor
KCChiefs9690 said:
If you really need LTR, the BCD996T is a better choice. However, you are not really missing much if you don't have LTR, all you really hear is tow truck drivers yapping about hot girls they see when they are driving, etc.
Not strictly true. This is a Nuclear Power Plant in my area that I mapped:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=4635

I have mapped 4 systems in my area, and I have found Utilities, Handicaped Transportation Co's, some security agencies, and even a TV news channel used to setting up live shots.

However, I think your advice is generally true. He should check the RR database for at least 30 mile radius from his home to see if there are any interesting LTR's. However, they tend to be overlooked by most scanner enthusiasts for the reasons mentioned, so it is less likely there will be any identified systems in the RR.

Here's a link that should prove useful for a decision about trunking scanners:
http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/Comparison/comparison.html

Last edited:

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
capt_clint said:
Not strictly true. This is a Nuclear Power Plant in my area that I mapped:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=4635

I have mapped 4 systems in my area, and I have found Utilities, Handicaped Transportation Co's, some security agencies, and even a TV news channel used to setting up live shots.

However, I think your advice is generally true. He should check the RR database for at least 30 mile radius from his home to see if there are any interesting LTR's. However, they tend to be overlooked by most scanner enthusiasts for the reasons mentioned, so it is less likely there will be any identified systems in the RR.

Here's a link that should prove useful for a decision about trunking scanners:
http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/Comparison/comparison.html
Lol, my comments were pretty generalized. In my area, there is nothing interesting like that on LTR, just taxis, tow trucks, warehouse personnel, delivery, etc. Probably the most interesting thing on LTR around here is animal control. :)

mike_webb59

IMHO monitoring digital and supporting FCC rebanding much more important than LTR. Current popular radios in this category are RS Pro 96 and Uniden 330T and equivalents. I'd also point you the the radio threads here at RR and see if you see any trends around quality and useability for th radios that you like.

Good luck, Mike

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
In my area I haven't found much of interest on LTR either. I note that Somerset County doesn't have any LTR systems mentioned in the RR Database. There are a couple in Essex County, but I didn't check any other surrounding counties. I also noted that Somerset does indeed utilize digital in their Mot II Smartzone. So you would want either the 2096 or 996T (or their partner handhelds the Pro-96 or 396T). One has LTR capability, the other does not. It kinda comes down to how important LTR is to you, and if you have a personal preference for one brand over another, and of course cost (the 96/2096 being on sale soon).

Status
Not open for further replies.