• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Console CB's Hygain 8 ever have a 40 channel version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

This was a pretty rare subclass of CB's that until samples showed up on the net. I've never seen many of these beyond a catalog besides RS's much latter TRC-459. Most were pretty expensive compared to a similar featured upright base. They originally emulated the look of the older style table top cassette tape decks and table top intergrated stereos before front loading mechanisms became popular in rack/stack arrangements component systems.

Hygain's 8 caught my eye the other day in a picture and it was surprising that it was actually a synthesized crystal 23 channel radio. It had a digital display and digital clock that must have way out of place for the period until the latter 70's when the 40 channel units arrived. Even though it has rotary knobs, the appearance and layout is unmistakably the same as Sear's Roadtalker 40 channel console base that differed with linear slide controls, otherwise the layout is strikingly similar.

SBE had a rare,limited production 40 channel unit that fetches over a grand in collectible condition with a keypad according to youtube commenters. RS had the TRC-459, but the style was already out of date and they didn't try to look like a cassette recorder either. Cobra and Hygain had some limited AM units and sears came out with that silver AM unit in the weird trick-out that's in another thread. There may be others.

Anyone know of any other console type CB's, especially SSB units? The design is dated now especially decked in woodgrain and chrome of the period, but neat and probably more wife friendly if it was in the living room or den alongside the stereo equipment. I never seen this layout in commercial radios, but it was common in dc and tone remotes. Motorola and GE for example had desktop remotes in horizontal console layouts.

Orbieswar

Hygain Console

I remember this radio.. A friend had one, he was the first of us to get a SSB radio.
Looked more modern than it actually was.
Shame they were only crystal controlled.

lastmartian

One of these caught my eye in a thrift store. It needs a little work but I'd love to get it back in shape. I miss this design and the care and quality with which these rigs were built, and it does have the impression of contemporary audio stuff. Even with 23 channels it's not without merit. Maybe I can start a local net of below 24 operators. It would be fun to bring cb back as an alternative to 'social networking'. After all it was the place to express yourself long before "Twitter".....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.