Conspiracies and sermons

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnRefsmmat

I've been listening to shortwave for several years, and I've noticed quite an obvious trend: during the day, the vast majority of English stations are broadcasting sermons. The rest are broadcasting conspiracy theories.

What is it with sermons and conspiracy theories? Are there really that many Christians with shortwave radios? Are there really that many gullible individuals smart enough to get themselves a radio? After all, I only listen to those stations for amusement, not learning.... :D

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Cap n readers,

Just what do you mean by "English stations"? Such a blanket remark can mean anything from stations broadcasting from England to English language from anywhere on the planet.

OK, let's get serious, you're talking about those "Christian Evangelical" Bible bucks mMinistries (Send money or you'll burn in Hell forever and ever!) and the "Survivalists" selling snake oil, health food and assorted hazmat in tablet form. Don't forget the hawker of precious metal (your money is no good) and the "Israel can do no wrong" rabbi.

Management of brokered air time stations don't care about you being a candidate for an insane asylum as long as you have money. As long as the signal can be heard outside the US it's considered international by the FCC even if that guy in Mexico laughing at the Americanos locos isn't interested in buying a cabin in Colorado stocked with provisions to survive a nuclear war. There is but one purpose for thier existance, THEY'RE MONEY MAKERS broadcasting audio streams from the Internet, low overhead, high profit money makers.

Rant off.

"After all, I only listen to those stations for amusement, not learning."

If you get high enough you'll find amusement in dripping water and learn the language of flowers. (;->)

Come on. Shortwave isn't shortwave without brother stair or gene scott splattered all over the dial. That would be like late night AM broadcast radio without Art Bell or his little weekday sidekick talking about UFOs and ghosts.

HBdigital1

thoughts on sermons and theories..........

Understand completely your overall thoughts about the sermons broadcasted over the airwaves.... I am a Christian, and though not perfect, as none of us are, I agree that there are pastors out there who are giving the wrong mssg regarding the Gospel, and unfortunately, there are some out there for the money.

However, pls don't bunch up the bad ones with the good ones, who genuinely are trying to get the mssg out about what Christ did for all peoples! Just like you wouldn't say that ALL CARS are bad because one bought a bad Kia vehicile, thus every car by every manufacturer is bad; in same way, pastors are the same.

Our role as Christians is NOT to argue and get up tight if those we are witnessing to do not believe the Gospel... we are just to make it known in a non-threatening, yet truthful way, and God does the rest. Come on now, we all see buildings and our own radios in our possession... we see the results, there must've been a buklder or manfucterer, those items could not have gotten here on their own... likewise we are living beings with feelings and plans.... could we have gotten here by ourselves or by a "big bang" to put everything in place with every cell in our body in their proper place????

JOhn 3:16 says it all, and salvation is open to all.... the limiting factor is man's pride, where we feel we are the captain of our own ship and destiny.

HBdigital1

Wish I could tell you, most of what I have heard has been around 6Mhz area in the evening hours. The main one I have heard is Gene Scott, of whom I have reservations as to his purpose to be on the airwaves and how he carries himself both on the air and on TV(at least his taped programs, since he is now passed on). Another program is Family Radio, which airs around the same time, and though the doctrine on the surface is fairly Biblical, I have heard some disconcerting things about how the organization is run and even about the founder himself, who does the Bible studies....trying to withold judgement for now, but those are the two.. Previously, HCJB(Voice of the Andes), broadcasted from Ecaudor, and that station/teaching was right on track, as they were definitiely for real, trying to reach the world(literally) for Christ, and I had no qualms about their doctrine/purposes whatsoever..... but now they have stopped broadcasting about a year or 2 ago. good luck!

CapnRefsmmat

kb2vxa said:
Just what do you mean by "English stations"? Such a blanket remark can mean anything from stations broadcasting from England to English language from anywhere on the planet.
Anything in the English language. Even China Radio International.

kb2vxa said:

If you get high enough you'll find amusement in dripping water and learn the language of flowers. (;->)
I have the feeling some of the broadcasters on shortwave do that :p

HBDigital1, don't worry, I have a feeling that only the most radical of them get on the radio... I know that most of you are sane. ;)

And in case you wanted to listen to the conspiracies, I found RBN recently, on 12.18 and 5.05 MHz.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, there are several religious stations on the air - and the vast majority of the folks I know who are DXers avoid them, unless they're using a site or country they want to verify (NASWA has an award for this, for example). They even can be found down on the 60 and 90 MB, and sometimes let their 'clean' transmitters slip a little. Me, I find it highly annoying to listen to Brother Scare if I'm trying to dig out Faro Del Caribe running on the high side...

I can't even fathom Beijing being 'religious'. That's almost an oxymoron. They do heavily promote their viewpoint, for sure - and these days, with the North Korean incident - that can provide for some interesting listening.

There are many English broadcasters that aren't 'religious' in nature - the various websites mentioned in the Wiki will get you started. Some broadcasters have started making changes for the new B06 season, so keeping ahead with a good program like World of Radio (Glenn Hauser has the DXLD Yahoo group as well) and/or belonging to a well established club (like NASWA) will keep you ahead of the curve.

73s Mike

CapnRefsmmat

ka3jjz said:
Yeah, there are several religious stations on the air - and the vast majority of the folks I know who are DXers avoid them, unless they're using a site or country they want to verify (NASWA has an award for this, for example). They even can be found down on the 60 and 90 MB, and sometimes let their 'clean' transmitters slip a little. Me, I find it highly annoying to listen to Brother Scare if I'm trying to dig out Faro Del Caribe running on the high side...
I seem to have developed a talent for identifying them within a second or two. The tone of voice they use is unmistakable.

ka3jjz said:
I can't even fathom Beijing being 'religious'. That's almost an oxymoron. They do heavily promote their viewpoint, for sure - and these days, with the North Korean incident - that can provide for some interesting listening.
They're nowhere near religious, although they are a bit odd. Radio Vietnam was more amusing (it was all propaganda).

ka3jjz said:
There are many English broadcasters that aren't 'religious' in nature - the various websites mentioned in the Wiki will get you started. Some broadcasters have started making changes for the new B06 season, so keeping ahead with a good program like World of Radio (Glenn Hauser has the DXLD Yahoo group as well) and/or belonging to a well established club (like NASWA) will keep you ahead of the curve.
I listen to the BBC, CBC and others regularly. I just let the scan button find me more. I'll have to upgrade radios soon (no SSB and not all of the shortwave band on this one) so I think I shall be enjoying this much more :D

gcgrotz

Declared_Hostile said:
Come on. Shortwave isn't shortwave without brother stair or gene scott splattered all over the dial. That would be like late night AM broadcast radio without Art Bell or his little weekday sidekick talking about UFOs and ghosts.

Except now the late night weekday AM sidekick has hooked up with Alex Jones...

gcgrotz

Jud said:
I would like to listen. Any frequencies?

Try 9985 during the day. Also somewhere around 3320 at night. Can't miss it on the east coast, its about 60 over S9 here. Also listen above 7300 at night for a variety of things.

One of my favorite "real" shortwave stations is Radio New Zealand on 9870 from 7-9am East coast time. Real strong here this time of year. Interesting rebroadcast of their national network.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Banned
Hi again,

Never mind Ghost to Ghost AM, if you want the REAL Art Bell you can listen for him on the ham bands. That's all I'll tell you this time around, now pick up the challenge. Here's another, the original Andy of the Amos 'n Andy radio show is also an active ham. You can't miss the voice and mannerism on that beautiful sounding 75M AM signal. Hey, I just gave you a clue. (;->)

HB, please don't try to hand this 40 year SWL/DXer such a load of crap. In all those years I have NEVER heard ONE "televangelist" broadcasting via any medium who actually preaches a clean gospel. If the corruption of the mainstream church isn't bad enough (read your Bible, it goes back THAT far) those guys must have a special place in Hell reserved just for them. Read all about how those who preach falsely are the most harshly judged. From one Christian to another, "Beware the leaven of the Pharacees." Thus sayeth Yeshuah Immanuel AKA Jesus.

This has been a public service announcement, not an invitation to religious discussion most inappropriate on this forum.

K3GI

kb2vxa said:
Hi again,

Never mind Ghost to Ghost AM, if you want the REAL Art Bell you can listen for him on the ham bands. That's all I'll tell you this time around, now pick up the challenge. Here's another, the original Andy of the Amos 'n Andy radio show is also an active ham. You can't miss the voice and mannerism on that beautiful sounding 75M AM signal. Hey, I just gave you a clue. (;->)

HB, please don't try to hand this 40 year SWL/DXer such a load of crap. In all those years I have NEVER heard ONE "televangelist" broadcasting via any medium who actually preaches a clean gospel. If the corruption of the mainstream church isn't bad enough (read your Bible, it goes back THAT far) those guys must have a special place in Hell reserved just for them. Read all about how those who preach falsely are the most harshly judged. From one Christian to another, "Beware the leaven of the Pharacees." Thus sayeth Yeshuah Immanuel AKA Jesus.

This has been a public service announcement, not an invitation to religious discussion most inappropriate on this forum.

AMEN!

OZ_Redneck

Yeah right, and I only read Playboy for the articles ;)

Seriously though, SW offers a cheap way for these people who desperately want to be heard but have no chance of ever getting a gig on mainstream. Shortwave is the Community TV of radio. The companies that provide the means to broadcast often charge these people money on an hourly rate, as well as profit from ther advertising revenue.

Every now and then one of these "crackpots" will gain a good following and end up on more mainstream radio.

kb2vxa

Banned
Hi again Quick and readers,

"I personally wish there was a channel that had something on radio stuff like Ham info and crap."

In years past Radio Netherlands had an excellent show but I haven't heard that broadcaster for a while. Arnie Corro CO2KK had one on Radio Havana fairly recently, you may want to check their program schedule. Tim Smith WA1HLR had another on WBCQ, another sked to check out.

"Every now and then one of these "crackpots" will gain a good following and end up on more mainstream radio."

Don't you mean muddy stream radio?

A cracked pot has a tendency to leak. Any day now I'm expecting the one in Virginia Beach to march down the street wearing his tin foil hat, copper bracelets and magnetic amulet singing Onward Christian Soldiers. The day after we'll be watching on the news the latest tape of Osama Bin Laden rolling on the floor with a shortwave radio in his hand.
Translation from Arabic;
"Don't crash the plane, throw shortwave radios out the windows."

CapnRefsmmat

Hehe...

I now have a pageful of conspiracy theories taken from the Republic Broadcasting Network. I'm enjoying this too much.

Dorpmuller

kb2vxa said:
In all those years I have NEVER heard ONE "televangelist" broadcasting via any medium who actually preaches a clean gospel.

This is a good topic-do you know of any SW ministry that has a clean Gospel lineup?

Since I'm a conspiracy nut anyway and the first to admit I'm not flying on both engines, ;) some night time listening is good entertainment! Since I just got an RP2100, at least I can do it in hi-fi!

Gotta go take my meds now. :lol:

Rich

elk2370bruce

"If you get high enough you'll find amusement in dripping water and learn the language of flowers."

I always preferred those little red mushrooms! Wow!!! The walls are bleeding! What the hey, mushrooms were a religious tool of Native Americans! End of religious discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.