Constant problem recieving priority calls on Motorola system, Im begging for Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think you can help me, PLEASE read this post all the way through. It shouldnt take too long.

The original thread on when i originally posted this a long time ago:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22800

Ok for quite some time now (many months) every once in a while when the dispatcher goes to give out a priority call such as a robbery, I dont recieve it. Ill receive up to the point of the priority beep tone immediately after the dispatcher is done giving out the call. Itll go like this:

Radio: All units stand by for a priority call
*Silence for about 10-15 seconds*
3C3: 3 Charlie 3 copy en route to robbery
3C2: 3 Charlie 2 en route also
3C1: Charlie 1 en route

Its to the point now where it does it every time. A while ago i never had this problem, and it was brought on by seemingly nothing. Whats going on? This is really bothering me.

Im listening to Anne Arundel County in Maryland:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=187

Its a Motorola Type II SmartZone system. I definitely have all the frequencies programmed in. I always listen to talkgroup ID 1648.

When I initially had this problem i was using a uniden 250D with a digital chip. Since then ive bought a new scanner. Im now using a uniden 396T. I use the 250D as my dedicated car scanner and i am still having these problems also.

I used unidens programming software to program my scanner. I will use this to show you my scanner settings. My scanner settings are as follows:

system: motorola 800mhz type 2 standard
hold time 2 seconds
delay 2 seconds
p25 threshold: AUTO
Attenuator: OFF (unchecked)
control channel only: ON (checked)
Ignore statis bit: OFF (unchecked)
Ignore end code: OFF (unchecked)
I-call: ON
Modulation: NFM
Emergency alert tone: OFF
Emergency alert level: AUTO
I havent even messed with the fleet map.
Squelch level: 3
Priority mode: OFF
Battery save: ON

Other information that might help:
I can receive signal 13's just fine (when the officer presses his emergency button on his radio and also when the dispatcher issues the signal 13 across the county).

I can receive fire dispatches on the fire dispatch channel just fine. This is odd because a fire dispatch call comes out the same way as a priority call on the police channels, complete with the beep tone at the start of the dispatch.

I dont actively scan or search, i just 'park' the radio on the talkgroup that i am listening to. However I have the same problems when i scan or search too.

By county policy, the county must dispatch all calls over the air. That means that they arent using i-call or using the officers cell phones or anything like that.

Sometimes if a priority call is close to 2 districts, one dispatcher will dispatch on both those district's channels simultaneously. Im not sure how.

I would R E A L L Y appreciate anyones help with this, as it is an extremely annoying problem. It sucks missing all the juicy calls. I have tried everything in my knowledge to fix this and i am completely stumped.

-Dan

Last edited:
MacombMonitor said:
Could it be that the information that follows is sent to an MDT (Mobile Data Terminal)?

If youre saying its going to their laptops in their cars, yes it is. However per county rules the dispatchers are required to put the call out on the air.

The calls are definitely going out, im just not hearing them. I know this for a fact because one of my coworkers at my work is a reserve police officer for the county and she has a radio. I listen to hers and mine at the same time at work. She gets the call and my scanner doesnt - its definitely me.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
What talkgroup is this on?

Do you don't see "ENC" encrypted on the display, correct? Do you get talkgroup 33216?

Did you try Ignore Status Bit: ON (Checked)?

That should make every talkgroup have an individual number for each status (talkgroup + status number).

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It's probably on a different talkgroup - I'd post locally.

DaveIN said:
What talkgroup is this on?

Do you don't see "ENC" encrypted on the display, correct? Do you get talkgroup 33216?

Did you try Ignore Status Bit: ON (Checked)?

That should make every talkgroup have an individual number for each status (talkgroup + status number).

1648 (eastern district).

No, its not encrypted. No, I dont listen to 33216. But now that you mention it ill unlock that one.

I tried the status bit thing with my 250D and it didnt make a difference. From what i understand, that option doesnt affect whether or not i receive the status bits. Its just an option on whether or not the scanner rounds off the talkgroup ID or not, so it wouldnt matter would it?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes, they patch two or more talkgroups together to dispatch important calls. Try setting the scanner/software to ignore status bit, IOW, turn it ON. You mentioned it's set to OFF. That may be why you're not hearing the dispatch.

wsmoore

Database Admin
The Uniden scanners do not responed to the MSEL patches like a moto radio.Here in Jax,Fl. the fire dept uses the msel patch for dispatches if you are not on the talkgroup were the msel was started you will miss the call.EXample JFRD will patch a-1,a-2,and a-3 on a dispatch.If I'm on a-2 and the dispacher is on a-1 when she starts the msel i miss the patched call.if I'm on a-2 and the dispatcher is on a-2 I hear the call.Just the way the Unidens do it.

Al42

CapitalPunishment said:
1648 (eastern district).

No, its not encrypted. No, I dont listen to 33216. But now that you mention it ill unlock that one.

I tried the status bit thing with my 250D and it didnt make a difference. From what i understand, that option doesnt affect whether or not i receive the status bits. Its just an option on whether or not the scanner rounds off the talkgroup ID or not, so it wouldnt matter would it?
TG 33216 is a talkgroup. TG 33217 is TG 33216 with the 0 status bit - if you have Ignore Status Bit off, the scanner won't receive 33217 unless you have THAT TG programmed also - it'll treat it as a TG different than 33216. (Same for any TG - if it's evenly divisible by 16, it's the TG number - if it's not it's the TG number with status bits set.)

n3bxv

wsmoore said:
The Uniden scanners do not responed to the MSEL patches like a moto radio.Here in Jax,Fl. the fire dept uses the msel patch for dispatches if you are not on the talkgroup were the msel was started you will miss the call.EXample JFRD will patch a-1,a-2,and a-3 on a dispatch.If I'm on a-2 and the dispacher is on a-1 when she starts the msel i miss the patched call.if I'm on a-2 and the dispatcher is on a-2 I hear the call.Just the way the Unidens do it.
That's interesting, good to know and probably explains this problem Dan has been having. The Priority calls in Anne Arundel County are indeed MSEL patches as I pointed out in the original thread. Strange that it only affects Uniden Scanners. I've never experienced this problem with my RS scanners that I use on the AACO Trunk.

Last edited:
n3bxv said:
That's interesting, good to know and probably explains this problem Dan has been having. The Priority calls in Anne Arundel County are indeed MSEL patches as I pointed out in the original thread. Strange that it only affects Uniden Scanners. I've never experienced this problem with my RS scanners that I use on the AACO Trunk.

So where are the calls originating?

edit: now that i think about it the calls come from the admin channel i believe. I have that channel locked out. So youre saying that if i unlocked eastern and the admin channel i would hear the calls?

I think im gonna try the statis bit first. I set my status bit on YES. It didnt work on my 250D, but well see this time.

Last edited:

n3bxv

CapitalPunishment said:
So where are the calls originating?

From what I remember from looking at it on Trunker last time, most of the" Radio to All Cars" MSEL patches include 11E CID (TG 1744), so I would guess they are originating on that Talkgroup. You might try unlocking the 11E TG and see if that works. Just a Wild *** Guess....

n3bxv said:
From what I remember from looking at it on Trunker last time, most of the" Radio to All Cars" MSEL patches include 11E CID (TG 1744), so I would guess they are originating on that Talkgroup. You might try unlocking the 11E TG and see if that works. Just a Wild *** Guess....

But if i unlock that talkgroup, then ill hear all the transmissions on that channel. :(

SCPD

QRT
CapitalPunishment said:
But if i unlock that talkgroup, then ill hear all the transmissions on that channel. :(

Try this ...

Add another talkgroup set to MSEL - take 1744 + 7. You can also try 1733 + 3 in case it's a patch and not a multiselect.

Try this with and without status bits option to see which works better for you.

-rick

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
TO: CapitalPunishment

In your description of settings above you did not mention if you had "DataSkip" on or off. I am just shooting the dark here but if you at one time received the priority calls and then didn't could it be that the radio is hearing the priority call tone, thinking it is a data noise and returning to the CC. Since the TG is still open on return it sill assume that it is just the same noise until the CC re-grants/renews the channel-grant, like when a unit responds. Just throwing out ideas here.

loumaag said:
TO: CapitalPunishment

In your description of settings above you did not mention if you had "DataSkip" on or off. I am just shooting the dark here but if you at one time received the priority calls and then didn't could it be that the radio is hearing the priority call tone, thinking it is a data noise and returning to the CC. Since the TG is still open on return it sill assume that it is just the same noise until the CC re-grants/renews the channel-grant, like when a unit responds. Just throwing out ideas here.

I do not have data skip checked. Should I?

edit: looking in the manual it seems as though i should have data skip off, which i do.

"This setting controls how the scanner bahaves when it stops on a channel that has a data signal.
On- The scanner stops briefly on the channel, but then immediately resumes scanning automatically. Press E to select.
Off- The scanner reamins on the channel until the transmission stops. Press the scroll control to select."

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
CapitalPunishment said:
...looking in the manual it seems as though i should have data skip off, which i do.
Yeah, that is what I was going to suggest just in case it was "On", but since it is off... back to the drawing board.

I just had a thought while typing, have you run Trunker (or Unitrunker) on this while it was happening? If so, did you notice anything different?

loumaag said:
Yeah, that is what I was going to suggest just in case it was "On", but since it is off... back to the drawing board.

I just had a thought while typing, have you run Trunker (or Unitrunker) on this while it was happening? If so, did you notice anything different?

Im sorry whats that?

Status
Not open for further replies.