CONSUMERS ENERGY SCANNING

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagosti

GREETINGS
Using my SDS-200 I have been scanning
the pre programmed consumers energy channels

I am near the Kalamazoo tower and it shows a full signal when it scans the site but after 2 days of casual monitoring
I have not heard anything...

do they still use their system ?

Charles

a29zuk

My power went out a few weeks ago and I monitored the system in my area. I have a Uniden 325P2 so I programmed them in manually.

Here is what the database has for your area:
3 003 (3) Kalamazoo: 01 855.3125c 02 856.4125a 03 857.4125a 04 858.4125 05 859.4625 06 860.3625

This is an EDACS system so the numbers in front of the frequencies are LCN numbers. It must be programmed this order. I used freescan to program it and it asks for a LCN number for each frequency.

Others in this forum may be able to guide you through using the Sentinel software/Favorite List for your scanner if your preprogrammed info is incorrect. The Sentinel software is not used for the 325P2.

They haven't moved to the MPSCS system in my area, yet. Also, during this pandemic, they are only responding to emergency calls.

Jim

kasparek

Premium Subscriber
I don’t have an SDS yet, so I don’t how one would program an EDASCS for it. But a29zuk is correct, as with any other scanner I’ve owned, the LCN channels have to numerically match what Radio Reference has listed.

Also I’m receiving Consumers on the Grand Rapids tower in the clear.

CaptainWillard

Premium Subscriber
Have a 325P2. Created a separate system for Consumers EDACS. Put control channel and associated channels (with LCN) for area (Traverse City, Lake Ann, etc.) in separate sites. Did this awhile ago and have heard NOTHING.

What did I do wrong?

a29zuk

While scanning are you getting a control channel signal? You should see some signal bars on your display while it is scanning.

Do you have the LCN channels in numerical order?

Jim

CaptainWillard

Premium Subscriber
Not seeing any signal bars like I do with P25. I have great reception of MPSC.

Within each site I input frequencies in ascending order of the LCN.

Should I be putting the frequencies in groups?

With all the recent storm activity, seems I should have gotten something.

Thanks for your help. Dave

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
From RR's Database:

"MPSCS News Update — March 1, 2020

Consumers Energy

Faced with a wide-area communications network that will require a complete overhaul in the near future, Consumers Energy is currently exploring all available options in seeking a replacement radio system to meet their long-term needs. One proposal that has been very promising is the changeover to the MPSCS. Not only would this Project 25 TRS serve their immediate requirements, but would provide them with a very solid, and practical long-term solution for their data and voice needs.

Moreover, the state of Michigan and DTE Energy have entered into a partnership that allows the sharing of resources, radio frequencies, and tower sites in the areas served by latter. A similar agreement with Consumers Energy could add many additional tower sites to the MPSCS; thus, improving data and voice coverage in rural areas in the Lower Peninsula from the Ohio State Line, northward to the Straits of Mackinac. The cost savings would be tremendous for both parties."

a29zuk

They are still using the EDACS systems. At least in my area they are. I use the 325P2 also.

It looks like you have it programmed correctly but if you have no signal bars you will not hear anything.

You could drive closer to one of the site locations to see if you can get a better signal.

Jim

hockeyref2

I live in northern MI and hear them from time to time. Generally when there are outages. From the very little bit I have listened too, they probably have a CAD system of some sort and a lot I think goes over that. I also suspect they have GPS on them (or the trucks) linked to the dispatch so when they turn on power back to a substation or whatever they know that the workers are in the clear.

antennaman

Premium Subscriber
The decision has been made to transition to MPSCS; there have already been layoffs at the service contractor for the radio system. The transition will be completed within 2 years from this past fall at maximum.

From a cost perspective to Consumers, it makes sense; the existing system was ancient and needed replacement.

However, one has to question how a system licensed by the Commission as a public safety system, and operated at Michigan state general fund expense (per-radio mike fees were eliminated a couple of years ago) can be used to support a commercial entity's activities. Yes, there is a safety issue involved with electrical and gas transmission....but how is it that a system supported with tax dollars will be used for dispatching an employee to your premises to disconnect or reconnect service for nonpayment of a bill?

They moved into it really elegantly....first it was DTE, with radios used only to support gas operations under the cover of "public safety"....Consumers watched and learned, and somewhere there were some winks and nods.

Where will the line be drawn with the 'public safety' stretch? Should pipeline companies, fuel trucking companies, explosive demolition companies, fireworks contractors, and FedEx/UPS carrying hazmats be provided access to the system?

Consumers provision of tower sites as some sort of a "win" for the MPSCS is hogwash; the vast majority of the 62 Consumers tower sites duplicate existing MPSCS coverage, and the MPSCS is virtually never at a disadvantage to use public lands for tower construction.

The entire deal stinks from the perspective of the separation of commercial and governmental activities, and the cost distributions involved.

Golay

.... However, one has to question how a system licensed by the Commission as a public safety system, and operated at Michigan state general fund expense (per-radio mike fees were eliminated a couple of years ago) can be used to support a commercial entity's activities. Yes, there is a safety issue involved with electrical and gas transmission....but how is it that a system supported with tax dollars will be used for dispatching an employee to your premises to disconnect or reconnect service for nonpayment of a bill? ....

.... The entire deal stinks from the perspective of the separation of commercial and governmental activities, and the cost distributions involved.

Interesting. I was under the belief that everyone pays to use MPSCS . The cities, the townships, the counties, the railroads, the government alphabet agencies. That's no longer the case?

fnnm1062

longtime member
While I can't speak for Consumers, DTE has a CAD system to dispatch their units. The crew or dispatch can then mark them en route, on scene, clear, etc. They still have a radio system as a backup, but even then I believe most communications take place over the phone

depster00

DTE received an FCC waiver for operations on the MPSCS systems 800mhz frequencies. Costs for expansion of the network, additional frequencies, hardware and programming time are being paid for by DTE. The customer (DTE in this case) is responsible for the purchase and upkeep of their radios. Detroit Edison, ITC and other "critical infrastructure" organizations have been granted access with restrictions by the FCC - FCC DTE MPSCS Waiver. Initial programming fees of $250/device are paid to program the radios and setup talkgroups, etc. On-going costs are quite minimal once setup.

Last edited:

Cameron314

The decision has been made to transition to MPSCS; there have already been layoffs at the service contractor for the radio system. The transition will be completed within 2 years from this past fall at maximum.

From a cost perspective to Consumers, it makes sense; the existing system was ancient and needed replacement.

However, one has to question how a system licensed by the Commission as a public safety system, and operated at Michigan state general fund expense (per-radio mike fees were eliminated a couple of years ago) can be used to support a commercial entity's activities. Yes, there is a safety issue involved with electrical and gas transmission....but how is it that a system supported with tax dollars will be used for dispatching an employee to your premises to disconnect or reconnect service for nonpayment of a bill?

They moved into it really elegantly....first it was DTE, with radios used only to support gas operations under the cover of "public safety"....Consumers watched and learned, and somewhere there were some winks and nods.

Where will the line be drawn with the 'public safety' stretch? Should pipeline companies, fuel trucking companies, explosive demolition companies, fireworks contractors, and FedEx/UPS carrying hazmats be provided access to the system?

Consumers provision of tower sites as some sort of a "win" for the MPSCS is hogwash; the vast majority of the 62 Consumers tower sites duplicate existing MPSCS coverage, and the MPSCS is virtually never at a disadvantage to use public lands for tower construction.

The entire deal stinks from the perspective of the separation of commercial and governmental activities, and the cost distributions involved.

MPSCS, like many statewide systems has FCC waivers to allow CI users to use PS freqs and the PS users to use B/ILT frequencies that the CI/utilities use to build out new sites or add to existing.

Status
Not open for further replies.