• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

contact lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocho

Anyone here wear contacts? How long did it take you to put them on for the first time? My contacts were ready yesterday, but after about an hour or so of many unsuccessful attempts to put them on, I decided to go back to the eye place on Thursday to try again. Any particular techniques and tips?

thanks

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
It's still hard to get mine in too. For me, it's a pain in the ass because genetically, I have small eyes. It takes alot of practice though before you can get it to work. ;)

pmsar35

Premium Subscriber
Basically you're fighting your body's instinct to not get anything in your eye. It took me almost an hour the first time that I tried to insert my first pair of contacts. Now I can do it in a blink...literally.

Do a Google search for "inserting contact lens" and you'll get a number of hits from contact companies, etc. that should help. Good luck!

Woodstock

I just got contacts about a month ago and I love them. It took me about 5 minutes the first time and now it takes less than a minute. Some people have more trouble than others I guess. Just keep trying and you'll get it.

jmp883

How many of you contact wearers were forced into getting them?

I'm 42 and have been wearing glasses since 1974. Over the years my eye doctor, family, and friends have all made the suggestion that I get contacts. I never have, simply because I'm comfortable with wearing glasses every day. I'm also quite comfortable with how I look with them on.

It's amazing how many people have told me that I since I don't want to wear contacts I need psychiatric/psychological help. Apparently I'm hiding behind my glasses. Apparently that means I have some deep-seated self-esteem issues.

WHO MADE THESE PEOPLE PSYCHIATRIC/PSYCHOLOGICAL EXPERTS???[/I][/B]
MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!! MY APPEARANCE IS MY CONCERN....NOT YOURS!!

I hope those who wear contacts made that choice because they wanted to, not because they were badgered into it.....:)

Last edited:

Woodstock

I say if you like your glasses, keep them. I personally didn't like wearing glasses so I decided to give contacts a try and I'm happier with contacts. I've got a friend that hates contacts so he wears glasses. As long as it works for you, who cares what other people think, right?

JnglMassiv

My contacts are fantastic. I love them to death and can hardly imagine life without them now. I don't even own a pair pf backup spectacles. For those who have never tried them, I can't recommend them enough. I was amazed at how much better I could see compared to glasses.

Some tips:
Prior to putting them in, wash your hands. Then, dry them but be careful what your use: Steer far clear of white paper towels or anything else with excessive lint. Lint under the lense will irritate to no end and cause your eye to tear up, perhaps making the lense fall out. It might help to keep your fingers somewhat moist after washing.

Try to avoid handling the lense too much. I tip the storage cups to drip off extra solution to minimize fishing around for those hard to find and manipulate lenses.

Use plenty of fluid while soaking the lenses. Always empty and rinse the storage cups. Turn it/them upside down and leave open to dry. Never 'top off' the fluid left over from the previous night. Use fresh solution during every soak.

The only disagvantages I can think of to contact lenses are
1. that you have to be careful when swimming with eyes open and unprotected as they may get lost;
2. I have to consider them before I fall asleep. Sometimes it would be nice to just nod off on the couch or while visiting friends without having to worry about them. For me, sleeping in lenses is a horrible experinence that I avoid at all costs. I've fished bottle caps out of the trash and soaked them in tap water while I slept to avoid that sandy-disks-on-my-eyes feeling in the morning.

Last edited:

Piston52Heavy

Don't give up!!!!! The first time I ever put a lens in, it took me about 45 minutes. Now it takes about 10 seconds, if that! Your natural reaction is to close your eye when something gets near it. Getting contacts was probably one of the smartest things I have ever done!!!!

f4jmk

Keep trying, you'll get the hang of it, just expect the same problem of getting them back out as well until you get use to it. Took me almost 30+ minutes to get them in the first couple of times about the same to take them out, pretty much second nature now.

Other than the tips a couple of posts above, I personnaly use the left hand to hold the left eyelids open while placing the contact in the left eye with the right hand & vice-versa for the right eye, works well for me for placing them or removing them.

Good luck.

Dubbin

Premium Subscriber
I don't think I could ever wear them. It freaks me out just watching my wife put hers in. If the day ever comes that my eyes need help then I bet I go with glasses.

bwhite

Took me all day 20 years ago.
Over the years I've had many diff kinds, note that some types and brands will literally jump onto your eye making insertion easy and others don't want to adhere to the curvature of your cornea even when pushed flat onto it (if you continue to have trouble getting them to stick, ask for a diff type or brand).
Regarding the instinct to blink, yup, it's true, but, you will at one point or another train
yourself to realize that touching the surface of your eye is not painful, it's juse wierd.
Tip: Don't eat spicey food like crabs with old bay on them and then, even after lots of handwashing, try to take them out....you'll set your eye on fire (at least it feels that way)

red8

no ya'll i had radial kertomy about 15 years ago i do wear glasses
for like reading at night. but i feel pretty good about it. goodluck in trying to get use to them i realize they can be a real pain

cschmit

When I first got contacts it took me about 1hr and after a few weeks I was doing it in a few seconds. Just takes time a practice.

buffalogoat

I have worn Rigid Gas Perm lenses for over 20 years. Is very difficult to get used to wearing them at first and I had to let my eyes "adapt" to them by using a wearing schedule of 1 hour a day. Then 2 hours a day and so on. The newer soft lenses should be much easier is get used to and be more comfortable than the hard lenses I wear.

Go-24

I have been wearing contacts for 20+ years, at first it takes time for your eyes to adjust but its really an after thought now. You will adjust in a few weeks, and it will become natural to you; barring any complications.

I think I recall using both hands to get each contact in and standing in front of a big mirror. Mostly its about making yourself feel comfortable about an odd/new activity. As another poster stated its not really painful just weird.

I recall placing the contact on the first finger of my right hand. Then holding my upper eye lid up with the left hands fingers and my lower eye lid down with fingers on the left hand I would move in for the kill errrr placement ... Try looking up just a bit as you move in then move the eye around to position the contact.

bonus1331

Why are you still using those?
Do to astigmatism I was unable to get daily wear; but even that has changed in the last few years.
buffalogoat said:
I have worn Rigid Gas Perm lenses for over 20 years. Is very difficult to get used to wearing them at first and I had to let my eyes "adapt" to them by using a wearing schedule of 1 hour a day. Then 2 hours a day and so on. The newer soft lenses should be much easier is get used to and be more comfortable than the hard lenses I wear.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
I have been wearing contact lenses for 20+ years. I now wear the Acuvue throw away types. I have seen guys put their contact lenses in without using a mirror. I have to use a mirror, make sure my hands are clean (like 2X washed at least, with antibacterial soap), and use lots of saline solution to flush the lenses.

After doing the "taco" test to make sure the lens is not inside-out, I put it on the tip of my right hand index finger. I then use the my right hand ring finger to pull down my lower eyelid and use a couple of fingers from my left hand to pull open my upper eyelid. I then slowing touch the contact lens to the middle of my eyeball. After doing this, while still holding my eyelids open, I move my eyeball around to see if it is in and there are no air bubbles (moving my eye around gets out the bubbles). Then I close my eye (blink a few times) to make sure the lens is going to hold. Even after all of this, sometimes the lens does not go in properly and I have to redo it or it pops out and I have to search my sink to find where it landed (and that is hard being that it looks like a drop of water - even with the slight blue tint they come with nowadays).

After I am done and got the lens in, I flush my eyes with saline solution. I also use saline solution every morning to moisturize my eyes and lenses, and occasionally when I need to moisten my eyes when they are dry or I feel like there is something in them.

I don't even know I am wearing my contact lenses until it is time to replace them (about every 3 or 4 weeks) - I don't feel them at all. I leave them in the whole time (24-hours a day).

Last edited:

pocho

Well I went today and it was somewhat successful. Got there at 10AM and left at 4PM (w/ hour lunch break), but hey I managed to put them in and take em out, two times, on my own. When taking em out though I would accidentally pinch my eyeball instead of the contacts. I've gotten more comfortable with controlling my blinking reflexes. I'm having a much harder time removing the lenses than inserting them, but practice makes perfect. I go back in two weeks for a follow-up. Hopefully by then I'll be a pro. :D

funcritter

I have been wearing contacts for 25+ years. I find that placing the lens on my index finger right on the center of the finger tip and placing it on my eye, then sliding the lens to the center of my eye works nearly everytime. Whatever way happens to work for you is the way you should do it. They can show you the way they say you should but it may not be that easy.

I have dailey wear 2 month disposables and love them. Though I'm 43 now, it's getting towards that time where I may eventually have to switch to glasses. I can still read far away things but at night in low light, I have slight trouble reading black type on white paper at my job. Contacts are nice inventions thats for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.