Contact thru ISS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Back down on the Power -I believe most are using 5 W and small beams but the guidelines is 50 watts based on a 0dbi antenna. Tooo much pwoer causes the 'bird' to back down both rx and tx. This is based on the FM sats -the ISS is a bit different but still no reason to use more powr than you have to. The station is only running 10 Watts so that should be plenty.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Back down on the Power -I believe most are using 5 W and small beams but the guidelines is 50 watts based on a 0dbi antenna. Tooo much pwoer causes the 'bird' to back down both rx and tx. This is based on the FM sats -the ISS is a bit different but still no reason to use more powr than you have to. The station is only running 10 Watts so that should be plenty.
The first pass I made contact with ISS it was to my South; area 4 stations coming in L/C hence the higher pwr I used; the other pass ISS was well North of me, area 1 stations L/C hence the higher power used. When ISS was almost overhead I dropped the pwr to 20w and was not heard. With my omni-directional signal, I'm sure a guy with a 4 element beam with a 5w ht is going to outdo me reaching ISS.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
The first pass I made contact with ISS it was to my South; area 4 stations coming in L/C hence the higher pwr I used; the other pass ISS was well North of me, area 1 stations L/C hence the higher power used. When ISS was almost overhead I dropped the pwr to 20w and was not heard. With my omni-directional signal, I'm sure a guy with a 4 element beam with a 5w ht is going to outdo me reaching ISS.
Remember your vertical is 'pointed' toward the horizon -so you should work the ISS when it is fairly low to the horizon. At that point, you have a bit of 'gain' so 20 watts is good. above about 45 degrees you won't have enough power even at 50 watts-it is not distace but where in your antenna pattern the ISS is. BTY there are a couple of antennas that you can build that will give you a better shot (Moxen or turnstile) Have fun 73.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Remember your vertical is 'pointed' toward the horizon -so you should work the ISS when it is fairly low to the horizon. At that point, you have a bit of 'gain' so 20 watts is good. above about 45 degrees you won't have enough power even at 50 watts-it is not distace but where in your antenna pattern the ISS is. BTY there are a couple of antennas that you can build that will give you a better shot (Moxen or turnstile) Have fun 73.
Thanks for the info; have a Happy 4th!

Status
Not open for further replies.