Contacting Don Starr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeWcS

My computer crashed and I had to re-do everything. Ive sent emails to Don requesting my registration info be resent to me. Does anyone know a better way to get my reg info from him?

I have my paypal transaction number to prove I paid the $30.00

-Jay

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
NeWcS said:
My computer crashed and I had to re-do everything. Ive sent emails to Don requesting my registration info be resent to me. Does anyone know a better way to get my reg info from him?

I have my paypal transaction number to prove I paid the $30.00

-Jay

Probably not. Don runs a tight ship and likes for people to adhere to the policies he sets forth (and which you agree to when you purchase from him). I don't know how long ago you purchased your product, but I know that for quite a while ago he started sending registration info via email - and specifically stated in his policy (and probably in his registration email) that it is your responsibility to retain/archive your license information in case you need it again.

Creating/maintaining Win500 (or his other scanner software) is not his day job, at least I don't believe so. So he has policies in place to make it more organized and easier for him to provide us all with the software we need.

My suggestion would be that you look for your original email that he sent to you with the registration info. And if you can't find that, well, if you are desperate you should be very nice while corresponding with him... although I don't know that it'll necessarily guarantee that you'll get the info again.

If worse comes to worse, pay the $30 again. If you paid it recently, then I am sure you would have seen his policy (and probably should have read it) concerning the requirement of the buyer to retain the registration information for an infinite amount of time, or as long as you think you may need it again.

Good luck.

Mike

NeWcS

I read the terms and it states

n many cases, we can re-issue a registration key upon emailed request, but this is not guaranteed and may not get you a prompt response

I guess ill just try and be patient and hope he makes good on it for me.

Thank you for your reply

-Jay

madnachos

Like it said when you purchased the license...DONT LOSE THE KEY AS YOU WONT GET A NEW ONE.

You are pretty much out of luck. Don has no obligation to generate a new key and generally wont do it...as he shouldn't. This has been beat to death on many forums, and bottom line is you should have printed and saved the license info. You simply need to buy a new one.

NeWcS

You're right I should have and did., Unfourtanetly it was on my thumb drive which for whatever reason I can't find.

Don has no obligation to generate a new key and generally wont do it...as he shouldn't.

Thanks! Pretty ez to say that when it doesn't effect you. If you were in the same boat im sure you wouldn't be so smug.

Anyways all I can hope is he makes good on his deal! I paid him in good faith and should get support for his product.

Oh well.

-Jay

ibagli

NeWcS said:
Anyways all I can hope is he makes good on his deal!

He didn't make a deal with you to give you more than one key or even one key more than one time.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I have emailed multiple times pleading nicely to request my key after my hard drive crashed. No response, nothing. I'll be damned if I will support him anymore by paying another $30 for what i've already paid for once. I can understand his position if it's not his full time job but maybe he should have thought of that and made the process a little easier to re-issue keys. Perhaps an automatic system?

I will sell my Pro-96 and get a Uniden. Then I can buy the ARC software for it. I own ARC-250 Pro and the author Gommert is a nice guy who spent a bit of time talking to me at Dayton the past couple years. If I saw Don at a booth in Dayton you might as well call the police since someone is getting a beatdown.

Mod edit: watch your language!

Last edited by a moderator:

pogbobo

ok, this needs to just be closed ... the op knows that he shouldn't have lost his key, but he did and he is trying to recover it anyway, thats fine, its a free county and I wish him the best of luck ...

to redbeard:

when you purchased your key from starrsoft you had to have clicked the button that says "I acknowledge and agree to the above terms" .... included in the 'above terms' is this statement -->

When you register, you will be issued a unique key that will allow Win96 to run past its 30-day trial period. DO NOT LOSE THIS KEY. You will need it any time you wish to install Win96 (new computer, new operating system, computer crash, etc.). In many cases, we can re-issue a registration key upon emailed request, but this is not guaranteed and may not get you a prompt response.

as a matter of fact, Don is a very nice guy ... please accept these facts and move along :)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
redbeard said:
I have emailed multiple times pleading nicely to request my key after my hard drive crashed. No response, nothing. I'll be damned if I will support him anymore by paying another $30 for what i've already paid for once. I can understand his position if it's not his full time job but maybe he should have thought of that and made the process a little easier to re-issue keys. Perhaps an automatic system?

I will sell my Pro-96 and get a Uniden. Then I can buy the ARC software for it. I own ARC-250 Pro and the author Gommert is a nice guy who spent a bit of time talking to me at Dayton the past couple years. If I saw Don at a booth in Dayton you might as well call the police since someone is getting a beatdown.

Mod edit: watch your language!

Simma down now rofl. Sell that PRO-96 and get a PSR-500 and be cool like me :) - plus you'll have a reason to pay $30 again, this time for Win500.

sidenote: somebody just picked up the old packet equipment including a few antennae tonight.

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.