Contacting Uniden re: Siren App

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
I've read through the messages posted here on RR about the siren app and noticed the mods getting sensitive about the members' frustrations and them voicing the same, especially since this site seems to be one of the largest sites where folks who have scanners come to socialize, communicate together, gain and share information and sometimes frustrations. I also noted the mods telling the members if they had concerns to contact Uniden about their concerns. So I did. Going to Uniden's web site and in searching for information about the siren app and any questions and concerns I was referred to Radio Reference. This I found interesting. Uniden refers people to RR when wanting information about the Siren App and RR shuts these people down and refers them to Uniden. It also demonstrates some close ties between RR and Uniden.

I did go another route and sent an email directly to Uniden requesting information personally and I will share this IF they respond. I don't have much hope of this.

I can say that other software providers such as Bob at Proscan has been able to get his software to work with the 536HP and I would expect he will most likely get his software to out perform whatever the Siren App was promised to do and will also probably do it way before we hear anything from Uniden; especially since we are now in the 3rd quarter of 2014 with no information about the progress of the Siren App.

I suggested in my email to Uniden about the possibility of a class action law suit from its consumers and maybe this would in turn get their attention that they cannot treat their consumers like this. They have very loyal fans; consumers who have purchased their products for years, if they screwed up, then come clean say so and offer some way to make it right. A class action law suit might not win, but it would cost them enough money to get their attention that we as consumers will not be treated like this.

Again, IF I hear anything back from Uniden from my email I sent them, I will happily post this information.

mule1075

Feed Provider
As has been said before and i will say it again.When the app becomes available we will know here.As for Proscan we know what Bob does and I use his program daily and have been for years but you can still not use it for remote monitoring thru a phone be it android or iphone so that what you are saying really does not hold water.Now with that being said as i use alot of the times on threads like this If and when the app becomes available we will know here first anyway as said above.And before this thread gets out of hand which i am almost certain it will i do not own a 536 but am looking at buying in the future.When UPman feels the need to give us an update he will pretty cut and dry.As for a class action lawsuit well do what you want but in my guess is you will lose in the end and then what?

Last edited:

mule1075

Feed Provider
Also you stated It also demonstrates some close ties between RR and Uniden.Well GRE has or i should say had close ties with RR as i am sure Whistler will also when and if their version Of the PSR-800 and the 900 if that ever comes to fruition.So really apples to oranges so to speak.

JamesO

The problem here is 2 fold.

The wireless dongle does not work properly and Uniden is working with the vendor to resolve this issue.

I also think that Uniden dropped the ball and did not do any signifigant advanced work on the Apps. If they would have used a hard wired dongle, the Apps would be much further along, if not mostly finished. Also if Uniden would have offered a wired dongle, then the Siren App would likely be released and working right now.

But hindsight being 20/20, we are at the mercy of the wireless dongle staff and at some point we will hopefully see the Siren App before the 1 year anniversary of the 526HP release.

The Class Action lawsuit talk just needs to stop, this will not speed up anything, only the lawyers get rich and the 526HP owners likely will be left hanging with no Siren App and maybe a $25-$50 credit on a new Uniden purchase.

Lawyers do not make things happen, they just force people to admit blame or take responsibility. They will not magically make something appear that you are waiting on.

I should know, I am married to one!!

medic29

Premium Subscriber
As has been said before and i will say it again.When the app becomes available we will know here.As for Proscan we know what Bob does and I use his program daily and have been for years but you can still not use it for remote monitoring thru a phone be it android or iphone so that what you are saying really does not hold water.Now with that being said as i use alot of the times on threads like this If and when the app becomes available we will know here first anyway as said above.And before this thread gets out of hand which i am almost certain it will i do not own a 536 but am looking at buying in the future.When UPman feels the need to give us an update he will pretty cut and dry.As for a class action lawsuit well do what you want but in my guess is you will lose in the end and then what?

Mr. Mule,

I would suggest you not purchase a 536. Since you don't already own one, it would make sense now that you make the comments you do, you have not lost, nor sacrificed any of your money, until you do, please keep your comments to yourself as they definitely do not hold any merit to these conversations. I say this as respectively as I can. Also please read Lindsey's forum etiquette as it applies to you.

Again, since you don't own a 536, I would advise against purchasing one. I have done this consistently to those I know here in central Illinois who work in EMS and Fire and have shared my personal experience with them. If I had known back then what I know now I would have never purchased this scanner, but I fell into the "I've got to have the latest and greatest" and fell for the advertising, which was misleading. You don't say a software can do this or that when the software hasn't been developed yet and this is what you are wanting your software to do. This is not how you put your advertising together and release it for something you are currently selling. I'll give you an example: Harley Davidson just put out advertising about an electric motorcycle. Now this motorcycle actually exists and guess what, it is actually an electric motorcycle. They had already figured out how to make it run with an electric motor, had a battery that would last, knew how fast it would go and how it would handle before they put the advertising out to the public. It wasn't something they were hoping to develop; something they knew they wanted to do and knew what they wanted it to do and thus put that in their advertising, but rather, it was what was already what was demonstrated it could do. All of this unlike what Uniden has done.

I'll admit, my mistake was desiring to have the newest scanner from Uniden when it came out and trusting Uniden to put out a top of the line product, especially at the price they were charging. My mistake was trusting Uniden and if I could find a way to fix that I would. I am trying as best I can to keep others from making the same mistake. At the same time attempting to see if Uniden is a company that has some sort of integrity or if there is anyone at Uniden which has integrity who will make this right. Or will this be like other companies in this country where the citizens have to unite and go the legal route and MAKE the company do what is right, just like what has recently happened with GM; another example where people TRUSTED a company with their lives and lost. As has been made public recently, GM is definitely not a company with integrity and had known about the issues for over 10 years.

Do I want Uniden to go away, not really, but to be honest, if they were to continue to make a product like this latest that I made the mistake of purchasing, I guess it wouldn't really matter if they went away, because I wouldn't be purchasing anything from them anyway because their product isn't worth it and maybe another company will step up to the plate.

You mentioned GRE's relation with RR; well GRE is no longer around. It doesn't really matter if a company has a relationship with RR or not. The issue is the lack of freedom of the ability of consumers to speak their minds and voice their frustrations openly. It is because of this relationship between Uniden and RR that the consumers are not able to do so. It appears Uniden doesn't want this type of negative information floating around so they encourage RR to shut the threads down. In doing this when someone creates a search on Google or Yahoo or whatever, there are less threads which show up with a negative tone towards the way Uniden is handling this issue. This is where I see the issue; it is a conflict of interest; the forum admins protecting their supporters rather than letting the members voice their opinion in the forums...which is what the forums are for. The forum admins can do this, it is their forum, they enjoy the perks from their supporters and such, we as members are at their mercy. I know because I am a forum admin myself, but as such do not act in such a way. Again, I felt the need to let others know why I believe the threads about the siren app continuously get shut down.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
The problem here is 2 fold.

The wireless dongle does not work properly and Uniden is working with the vendor to resolve this issue.

I also think that Uniden dropped the ball and did not do any signifigant advanced work on the Apps. If they would have used a hard wired dongle, the Apps would be much further along, if not mostly finished. Also if Uniden would have offered a wired dongle, then the Siren App would likely be released and working right now.

But hindsight being 20/20, we are at the mercy of the wireless dongle staff and at some point we will hopefully see the Siren App before the 1 year anniversary of the 526HP release.

The Class Action lawsuit talk just needs to stop, this will not speed up anything, only the lawyers get rich and the 526HP owners likely will be left hanging with no Siren App and maybe a $25-$50 credit on a new Uniden purchase.

Lawyers do not make things happen, they just force people to admit blame or take responsibility. They will not magically make something appear that you are waiting on.

I should know, I am married to one!!

James,

You're right. Uniden dropped the ball; actually they never picked it up until the game was almost over and they were releasing the scanner. They made huge claims about what the scanner would and could do; basically what they wanted it to do, but hadn't figured out a way to make it happen and didn't have a working prototype, but this is what they sold to the public.

Then they said they were having some issues and placed blame elsewhere. Good call, most administrators have figured out how to do this rather than take responsibility. GM administrators are a good current example. What would have been appropriate for Uniden to do at the release, we screwed up, we thought this would be available and it's not. We are offering $xx amount of credit toward any Uniden product or accessory and/or the ability for the return of the 536hp directly to Uniden for a full return with our sincere apologies. This is our error and we apologize.

What did we get. The app should be available in 1st quarter 2014. The 1st and 2nd quarter of 2014 have come and gone. You say we should hope for the 1 year anniversary to have the app available. To me this isn't acceptable. Uniden would not have accepted me holding on to part of the money for the scanner for a year and basically this is what they are doing. They sold the scanner, the whole scanner for a certain amount of money. It was shipped without part of the product with a promise to ship the rest within a few months. Let me put it a different way. I'll sell you a car, engine, tires, a/c, the whole works. But the a/c doesn't work. I should be able to get it to work in the next few months. Now it has been 6 months and I'm not really telling you when I will be able to get it fixed so you can have a/c. Others are telling you that hopefully you will have a/c by the time your car is a year old and you should be okay with that. In this example...I'm pretty sure everyone would say it would be acceptable and almost expected for the person to be able to return the car and at least exchange it for a different model or get their money back for the cost of the a/c...something.

I know the class action law suit probably wouldn't win with the exception of the lawyers, but it would cost Uniden some cash, whereas right now they have all of our cash and are expecting us to just sit here waiting for them to give us information and/or product at their beck and will. If they ended up having to spend a few grand and/or more maybe it would get their attention; maybe someone would lose their job; maybe someone would realize this isn't how you do business. I don't care for any cash or whatever the class action would bring me other than costing Uniden some cash and maybe creating some form of punishment for their business practices. Unfortunately these days it seems the only way to get a business to listen or to get their attention is to cost them some money...big money. They still rarely take blame, but rather pass it on to someone else; just like I hear you doing....its because of the company who supplies the wireless dongle...no, it is who is in charge of the project, the person overseeing the project who is responsible.

Uniden needs to stand up, get some balls and admit they screwed up and find a way to make it right. Offer some possibilities to resolve the issues with their consumers. For those who are not happy with this product, allow returns, exchanges, something. Be a company with integrity.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Mr. Mule,

I would suggest you not purchase a 536. Since you don't already own one, it would make sense now that you make the comments you do, you have not lost, nor sacrificed any of your money, until you do, please keep your comments to yourself as they definitely do not hold any merit to these conversations. I say this as respectively as I can. Also please read Lindsey's forum etiquette as it applies to you.

Again, since you don't own a 536, I would advise against purchasing one

Well thank you for your comments but i will purchase what i like when i like.As has been said before i knew coming out the gate that the app would not be available until later on so not a real deal dealbreaker for me.Did Uniden drop the ball on the app maybe.As for forum etiquette maybe i did cross the line a bit so i am sorry for that.

PS= the proper spelling is Lindsay not Lindsey just wanted you to be aware.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Closing another Siren rant thread that isn't stating anything different from all the other threads.
Medic29, as has been said many times before, Uniden has no influence over these forums. Why they would refer you back here for a problem that is 100% theirs is beyond me?
Perhaps you should have pointed out to them that they are the ones who received your money not RadioReference.

Status
Not open for further replies.