Contest Question about ARRL DX Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to the ARRL DX Contest tonight and have a question. I was listening to 3.813.25 LSB and noticed that the operator said he was listening on 3.679 LSB. If you look at a band plan you would know that 3.813.25 is in the General part of the band and 3.679 is in the Extra part.
If someone would like to win the contest why would they listen in the Extra part where no General can transmit ?? This makes no sense to me. Why limit your contacts by doing a contest this way ?? Why not transmit and listen on 3.813.25 ??

SCPD

QRT
Guess that gives some incentive to get that Extra License ? I too was listening (and working) some of the stations that are active for the contest.

<thought>

It was fun and even though I was only operating with 100 watts I did reasonably well. I have worked some countries that I never had before so it was all worthwhile. I will try to work some more stations tomorrow if it isn't too much of a mess.

The thing that amazes me in these contests is the need for stations to repeat their call over and over and over again. Then they do it some more. There is a reason that QRZ was invented .. duh. But I guess that if humans were all intelligent, we would have nothing to comment on.

<\thought>

k9rzz

Remember that this is a DX contest and guys in the States can only work DX, so you're got to think about where the DX can and cannot work. I'm not sure, but I don't think Europeans can operate up in the US General band. So, for the guy with the General ticket to work Europe, he's got to listen in their band, and Europe has to listen in the US band (split). Same goes for Japan? Working split was the fun part of DX contesting on 40 meters until recently when they allowed DX (region 2?) to operate above 7,100khz. I found it lots of fun when the CQ was: "CQ Contest from K9RZZ listening 7045" or the DX would be: "7235 7235 EA8DX". Keeps you on your toes because to have your gear set up right other wise you'd be calling the DX on their frequency which can get you in trouble! LOL

Lots of South and Latin American's on 75 meters right now. Lots of 'weirdo' prefixes.

Good stuff.

042.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.