Continuous noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkstar350

Hi I have a question about this continuous noise that is all a particular frequency I have programmed seems to receive

I live in the long island, new York area and the frequency is 463.7000 for the Town of Hempstead water department(I have other frequencies for that agency that do not make the noise)

The noise sounds a bit like a "short fast machine gun burst" and at times can be a bit longer but I hear no other transmissions whatsoever

I have a recording of the noise and if someone can tell me how to upload it or link it to here that would be great

The scanner im using is a Uniden bc355n which is a non digital scanner so the only thing im guessing is that it is some sort of digital encryption or something but it is quite annoying because when i do not have the frequency disabled the scanner will mostly pick up that channel and does not seem to scan other channels

I also checked the FCC license for the call sign and it does not seem to be cancelled or whatever

if anyone can help me figure out whats going on with this it will be much appreciated

thanks

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator

Darkstar350

Oh ok so it is encrypted that's kind of what I figured

Its just strange that none of the other frequencies for that call sign do the same thing

Thank you very much KevinC nice to meet you

Darkstar350

It's not encrypted, it is a MOTOTRBO system.

Oh ok so in other words I just need either a certain type of scanner or modification to hear it? Because I know that when something is technically "encrypted" theres not much you can do about that - analog man in a digital world here haha

Yes i do lock that particular frequency out and I will probably delete it because if I don't lock it out it seems like the scanner will only receive that channel (rather than any of the other channels when im scanning that bank)
it just dosent make sense to me as to why would it continue to receive it if nothing is coming in except noise

I have a friend who works in that department and im gonna break his chops a bit as in what are they doing at a damn water department that needs this fancy digital voice stuff? hehe

again I appreciate any insight into this
thanks folks

RadioPatriots

Hey Darkstar,

You can receive (demodulate) these digital signals (MOTOTRBO, P25) with SDR software and hardware, as Kevin mentioned. There's a great deal of confusion regarding digital protocols and modulation schemes versus encrypted signals. A digital modulation scheme is just and only that; the data/voice is transmitted in a digital format. Some mistakenly think of this as encryption merely because their receiving device cannot demodulate it and it naturally sounds like digital noise.

However, any receiver that is designed to demodulated the modulation scheme being used can "hear" this signal. So it is not technically secure by any means, not was it meant to be. Encryption, on the other hand, is the means by which you deliberately encode a signal (or rather the data in the signal) with any given encryption algorithm; DVP, DES, AES, etc. Encryption is deliberately and purposefully used to prevent non-authorized users from hearing/extracting data from the signal in any useful way.

HTH

zanzarista

upload of your noise??

Hi I have a question about this continuous noise that is all a particular frequency I have programmed seems to receive

I live in the long island, new York area and the frequency is 463.7000 for the Town of Hempstead water department(I have other frequencies for that agency that do not make the noise)

The noise sounds a bit like a "short fast machine gun burst" and at times can be a bit longer but I hear no other transmissions whatsoever

I have a recording of the noise and if someone can tell me how to upload it or link it to here that would be great

The scanner im using is a Uniden bc355n which is a non digital scanner so the only thing im guessing is that it is some sort of digital encryption or something but it is quite annoying because when i do not have the frequency disabled the scanner will mostly pick up that channel and does not seem to scan other channels

I also checked the FCC license for the call sign and it does not seem to be cancelled or whatever

if anyone can help me figure out whats going on with this it will be much appreciated

thanks

Darkstar,
I'd like to hear the noise. I have a machine gun like noise as well but cannot associate it with a specific transmitter. The sound happens several times a day, but not on a schedule so it could be mobile units passing by.
Can you post the noise file or send it to me?
Thanks for your time,
Z

Status
Not open for further replies.