Contractor who stole radios from 911 center sentenced

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Contractor who stole radios from 911 center sentenced
by Mike Frassinelli/The Star-Ledger
Friday August 08, 2008, 5:19 PM

A contractor who swiped three dozen police and fire radios from Warren County's 911 Communications Center, then tried to sell them on eBay, was sentenced today to 364 days in jail.

But John P. Holmes won't have to spend any time behind bars if he repays the county $58,585 for missing radios and stays out of trouble during three years of probation.

Holmes, 40, of Allentown, Pa., last year worked on a renovation of the communications center, upgrading a fire sprinkler system at the center in Franklin Township.

Received through a grant, the radios were to be distributed in the Delaware River counties of Warren, Sussex and Hunterdon as part of a project to improve regional communication in the event of a natural disaster, authorities said.

The radios were reported missing on Nov. 2. Radios were sold on the eBay internet auction site, and some ended up in Florida, Illinois, Wisconsin and North Carolina, authorities said.

During his plea in March to third-degree theft, Holmes told the judge that when the portable radios accidentally ended up in his vehicle, he couldn't resist the temptation to sell them to pay off mounting bills. He said that after he had fallen ill, he got behind in electric and mortgage bill payments.

Holmes took responsibility for his actions and admitted he was wrong, and his lawyer told the court that Holmes was ready to make restitution for about half of the outstanding amount.

FuelForFire

Were these the XTS2500s with serial# 123ABC456 that keep showing up on ebay for $499??

Not unless he shipped them to China...

Seriously, Panter88 sells good stuff. I have bought radios from him twice and had no problems. Just beware that Motorola will not touch an 123ABC1234 radio.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Tell us what is not legit?

Do you know anything about that seller or how he gets his stuff or even anything about the radios he sells?

W2SJW

Database Admin
I've heard that people dumpster-dive Moto in the far east, and can get almost perfect sub-assemblies that way.

Put all the right parts together with a housing & then whore-flash a codeplug into it, and viola!, you have yourself a working radio. :wink:

The 123ABC1234 5000's were factory production demo models - the first that were built. They were never supposed to make it out into the public's hands...

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I've heard that people dumpster-dive Moto in the far east, and can get almost perfect sub-assemblies that way.

Put all the right parts together with a housing & then whore-flash a codeplug into it, and viola!, you have yourself a working radio. :wink:

The 123ABC1234 5000's were factory production demo models - the first that were built. They were never supposed to make it out into the public's hands...

I can't believe that Motorola doesn't have 1st rate security at all of their facilities.

W2SJW

Database Admin
So, at the steep discount is it worth it? The sellers feedback is very good.

I've never had a problem with him at all. I buy mostly XTS-series housings from him, and they always show up ridiculously fast coming from HK, and they are in great condiditon (I'm a big stickler on cosmetic appearance - I want my XTS's looking factory-fresh!).

If you are strapped for cash he is the best answer. Some times, he gets units that have awesome codeplug loadouts, and it puts it down to the 'big' question - do you care more about the serial, or the feature set? :wink:

SCPD

QRT
1. If you are strapped for cash, do you really need a radio?

2. Yes he has good feedback, but these questionable serial numbers have to raise a red flag. (I bought a cable from him a few years ago.) He does have good stuff. Not sure on these radios

3. Missing stickers. Stolen radios? Would you buy anything else with a serial number ABC123?

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
1. If you are strapped for cash, do you really need a radio?

2. Yes he has good feedback, but these questionable serial numbers have to raise a red flag. (I bought a cable from him a few years ago.) He does have good stuff. Not sure on these radios

3. Missing stickers. Stolen radios? Would you buy anything else with a serial number ABC123?

It's not about being strapped for cash, but why pay top dollar. It's a used radio.

I concede your other two points.

Grog

Banned
You guys need to think....

If these were really stolen, do you think motorola would let these things be sold on egay? He's got plenty of feedback and lots of real radio users (not scanner boys) have dealt with him for many radios and parts.

SCPD

QRT
You guys need to think....

If these were really stolen, do you think motorola would let these things be sold on egay? He's got plenty of feedback and lots of real radio users (not scanner boys) have dealt with him for many radios and parts.

What makes you think Motorola knows? ebay sucks when it comes to enforcing listings and fraud in general. I think everyday. Maybe you should take your own advice.

Grog

Banned
What makes you think Motorola knows? ebay sucks when it comes to enforcing listings and fraud in general. I think everyday. Maybe you should take your own advice.

You want to test it? Put up a auction for motorola RSS and see who contacts you besides egay. There used to be a ton of GP68 radios on there as well until motorola started getting involved.

Really, you guys are way too paranoid. There is a difference between a stolen radio and one sold as scrap by a sloppy company that begins with the letter /\/\///////////

Astro25

Panter's radios are just fine, there is nothing wrong with them. I've gotten many products from him before... none are "stolen".

He's even got a few Micom II HF radios up right now, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.