Control Channel on Rins 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
This morning around 0540 and still going on as of 0556 was picking up a control channel noises on MD Rins 3. I was only picking up 1 to 2 bars on the antenna so its a distant signal by my antenna readings. I tried to listen to it in both analog and P25 even tho MD Rins is FM Analog. When I had it on the digital mode I did not pick it up as much as it did not break my squelch on my radio. I am using a EFJohnson 5300 ES to monitor Montgomery County Smartzone system with a lighted remote control head. I wonder if it could be some "skip" that my radio is picking up from a different state???I went back and did some research on the Rins 3 frequency. It seems its also part of the New Castle DE trunked system as well. That would place the antenna over 100 air miles from my home here in Aspen Hill Md area plus its also used by Montgomery both by the fire dept and police as a talk around as well.

Last edited:

atlong

Database Admin
Looks like the closest possibility for a control channel on that frequency is the Cape May, NJ site for the NJ State Police system. Seems a bit far for that high of a frequency, but I guess it is possible. A few months ago, I was getting some vhf-hi skip from a fire dispatch channel just north of Philadelphia over here in the eastern panhandle of WV.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Once again this morning now around 0535 or 1035zulu time i am once again getting control channel noises on the MD RINS 3. I had to turn my sql up from 4 to 6 in order to keep it from appearing. When it happens I am getting one bar showing on my antenna pick up.

blueseas

Premium Subscriber
Quite often ducting happens on 700/800 MHz. Many nights this summer, I have listened to systems that are 200 miles away from location, mostly to the south and southeast. Case in point, I am NE Carroll County, MD and was listening to the Ocean City, MD police coming in loud and clear with very little signal degradation. That is about 140 air miles to my southeast. So yeah, it does happen quite often. Of course the better antenna you have, the better the reception. I use 6 800 MHz yagis pointed in six different directions and just switch between them for best reception. I also added a 10-12 dB amplifier inline on each, so that helps, too.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Hey where did you get your amp and I am running two 800MHz Yagis pointed at the Howard county tower here in Silver spring, MD and one pointed at the Sussex Tower in Rehoboth Beach just for the fun of it. I do pick up the DE system wide INOP 2 channels when they are used here.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Are you getting this error code when you try to connect to the frequency Data Base??Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Backend fetch failed
Guru Meditation:

XID: 8258008

Varnish cache server

blueseas

Premium Subscriber
Google Antronix MRA 4-8 and other Antronix amps like them. They have a whole line. Also.. PCT International. These are cable/TV antenna amplifiers that have a range of 50-1000 MHz. They come in various output strengths. Try and stay away from those that are too high a gain or intermod and overload will be an issue. Also, RF attenuators come in handy when you do this. Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.