Control channel only programing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbear14

What is the best way to program a Motorola system? All frequencies loaded,or control channel only? And how do I change this in my 396xt Without my software?

kma371

QRT
You only need the control channels on a 396, so I think that's easier.

It's automatically "control channel only" in that scanner so you don't need to configure anything differently.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

cbear14

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; ADR6300 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

How often do control channels change or rotated?

ve1sef

I think it depends on how the system is set up. Some change every 12 or 24 hours, others don't seem to change at all.
The NS system the primary CC appears to remain the same, although there are alternate CC.

cbear14

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; ADR6300 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

So If I program all the trunked frequencies in for a site I'll be set if the control channel changes?

W6KRU

So If I program all the trunked frequencies in for a site I'll be set if the control channel changes?

Just put in the primary and alternate CCs (red and blue) and you are good. They aren't going to rotate the CC to a VC.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you have the latest firmware on that 396XT, you don't have any choice in the matter. CC Only trunking for Motorola systems is the only option. In fact, it's not even an option anymore, the option to set CC Only was removed altogether.

So to answer your question, go ahead and program only the frequencies flagged as Primary/Secondary, and you're good to go.

cbear14

If I already have the other channels programed will this effect my reception?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
No. The scanner will only lock onto the active control channel, it doesn't care about the other frequencies you program in. That being said, the less "junk" you have programmed in there, the better.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Unless there is an issue with memory space, I program all channels in my scanners. That's primary control channels, alternate control channels and voice channels. While redundant, it ensures that I will always receive the system. There are no guarantees that a system can't make a voice channel into a control channel and there be a delay in updating the RR database.

W6KRU

Unless there is an issue with memory space, I program all channels in my scanners. That's primary control channels, alternate control channels and voice channels. While redundant, it ensures that I will always receive the system. There are no guarantees that a system can't make a voice channel into a control channel and there be a delay in updating the RR database.

No guarantees but a highly reliable source told me that to convert a VC to a CC would involve re-programming every radio that uses the system. Does anyone here know different?

On the local system I listen to with thousands of radios in use, I am pretty confident that is not going to happen. In a small burg with a couple dozen radios, who knows.

I do have all of the VCs programmed into a separate system for use when the system goes into FAILSOFT mode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.