Control Channel Only Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerowner

Does anyone know if you just put the control channel in if it will help you with P25 decoding. I have put all voice channels and control channels in, but get kinda chopy audio, I tried again with just the control channel it appeared to help, but I'm not sure if that's all true. Just gathering opinions...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Assuming you're talking about your BCD396XT (because you didn't specify, I have to read your mind):

It makes absolutely no difference. The scanner only cares about the CC's, it knows how to find the VC's. In fact, the latest firmware for the XT models removes the option to disable CC-Only scanning. It's now enabled by default and cannot be changed.

The only benefit to programming the VC's is on the off chance that they would make a change to the system and designate some of the current VC's as CC's.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Apart from changing any settings (like chauffeur6 mentioned, without an idea of what scanner you're using, it's nearly impossible to recommend them...) your better bet is a better antenna. For an example, there have been many threads about how well the RS 800 mhz duckie antenna does on that band; if you are listening on that freq range, this is something to consider.

Make like a gopher and dig! best regards...Mike

W6KRU

The only benefit to programming the VC's is on the off chance that they would make a change to the system and designate some of the current VC's as CC's.

On a Moto II system, doing this requires re-programming all of the radios that use the system. Does anyone know if this is true for a P25 system as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.