Control Channel Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wabelita

Help, I just got my first digital scanner, a BCD396T. I am trying to scan an APCO 25 system and I get nothing. The one thing I did notice is that the control channel freq. for the system cuts out every 3-4 seconds. I hooked up my old PRO-92 and tuned to the freq and it’s constant. Anyone know if the CTRL channel should be cutting out every few seconds on the 396T? By the way, I get 5 bars for the signal strength when I can hear it between cut outs every 4 or so seconds.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
You don't have a priority channel turned on do you? This could be just enough where it can't get a good signal lock on the CC and isn't able to scan the system.

What system are you trying to listen to?

seamusg

wabelita said:
Help, I just got my first digital scanner, a BCD396T. I am trying to scan an APCO 25 system and I get nothing. The one thing I did notice is that the control channel freq. for the system cuts out every 3-4 seconds. I hooked up my old PRO-92 and tuned to the freq and it’s constant. Anyone know if the CTRL channel should be cutting out every few seconds on the 396T? By the way, I get 5 bars for the signal strength when I can hear it between cut outs every 4 or so seconds.
See post by UPMAN here:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44662

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If audio is cutting out every 2 seconds, you have Close Call turned on.
If audio is cutting out every 5 seconds, you have Weather Priority turned on.
If you stop on the control channel frequency, and can hear a loud "motorboating" data noise, then it isn't a P25 system. More likely it is a Motorola 800 Type II system with some P25 channels.

If you point us to the specific system you are trying to monitor, we can help get you going a bit faster.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
red8 said:
I believe he is wanting to monitor a type 25 system on his396t .

Yeah I am aware of that hence the forum name "APCO-25, ASTRO, and Digital Trunking Discussion". He has something like a priority channel turned on if it keeps reverting back and cutting out the CC.

wabelita

It was the Weather Priority that was causing the cut out. I still can't receive any digital system. Analog trunked systems work fine. I also tried to set each digital system for both explicit and implicit modes witrh no luck. Here's the systems I am trying to receive...

System Name: Somerset County
County: Somerset
System Type: Motorola Type II SmartZone
System Voice: Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
Sysid: 8A27
Last Updated: Added a single talkgroup
Hits: 3710

System Name: State of New Jersey Troop B North
County: 4 counties
Sysid: B11D
CT: 90.0
Last Updated: Added a single talkgroup
Hits: 15854

System Name: Edison Township
County: Middlesex
Sysid: 7C12
CT: 83.72
Last Updated: Updated General System Info
Hits: 3727

If there is both analog and APCO-25 on the system should the scanner be set to P25 or Type II? If it should be set to Type II, how does it receive the digital communication?

Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
wabelita said:
Bingo.
If there is both analog and APCO-25 on the system should the scanner be set to P25 or Type II? If it should be set to Type II, how does it receive the digital communication?
Set your radio to Type II trunking. It should "just work".

-rick

Status
Not open for further replies.