• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Control Channel Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddpelp

I have been listening to scanners for some time now. One in a while seems like my scanner will lockon a control channel and stay there a long time.. I always wonder about this as seemed I could lockout the control channel and the scanner woudl scan fine.. My question is. Else where in the forums here. I read today a guy said he correct his area problem when he found out the control channels we not close enough in some cases to provide his scanner the info it needed. He said he found the ones close to him locked out the other control channels and scanner works great. Is this true? Do you not need all the control channels? I am listening to a Motoloa Splinter system and it has I think 4 or 5 CC freqs. Shoud I try to determine where these transmitters are ocation and maybe lock out the weaker CC freq? Thanks for any info you can provide..
Dan

n4voxgill

Silent Key
please tell us what system you are trying to listen to and it will make it much easier to help you out. the answer depends on whether it is a smart net or smart zone motorola system.

ddpelp

More info

It is a Motorola Type II Smartnet. Located in El Paso, Texas. This is a splinter system due to the location near the Mexican border. I use a Uniden BCD996T scanner. Before I used a BC785D scanner. This is an analog system but after I heard the comment about locking out a control channel It does make me wonder what affect this would have.

As far as "hearing" the channel no I do not hear any of them what I read was some control channels are stronger and therefore allow better scanning. I have ran a litle test and one does hit 5 bars on my scanner where the other 4 hit anywahere from 2 bars to 3 1/2 bars of signal strength. The main reason I ask is sometimes especially late at night seems the scanner just sits for a while before moving on to the next channel. I assume I am missing conversations when this happens..

Tnx for your help

Last edited:

ddpelp

Cut and paste of info

Below is the cut and paste of the actual comments made in a 396T Yahoo group. Hope this help it all make sense:
-----

I mentioned earlier that sometimes I got nothing from any channel for periods of time. The key is knowing which control channel will work best for your location, and shutting down certain ones that will give you nothing. I am near 35th ave & bell road, and found that for instance in my case, 868.3125, and 867.9375, would give me nothing if the scanner locked on these for control channels, even though they are listed channels in the system. 867.1375, being a west side transmitter does not transmit info on the east side channels, so I don't get everything. 867.2125 seems to be the one that gives me everything. There are a dozen or more control frequencies in the phoenix system, and you need to find the right one or ones for your location, and lock out the other ones. Watch what frequency is at the bottom of the screen when it is scanning to see what control frequency the unit is following. It was that simple. Now I can focus in on the Goodyear airshow coming later today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.