Control channels only !!??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dishwizard

I just recently purchased a BCD996T and loaded all my tradittional analog frequencies and have read up the info on BELL FLEETNET APCO25 used for O.P.P. and from what I've read, all I have to do is enter the control channel frequencies !! no talk group info is required !!
Is this correct for the 996T or am I missing something ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!
Thanks for all the great info on this site !!

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
What it means by Control Channel only is that you don't need to program in all the voice channels as well. You still need to program in the talkgroups otherwise, what are you going to listen to? You can setup the scanner to do an ID Search, whereby it will stop on any active talkgroup. If you don't program in talkgroup names, you'll have no idea what you're listening to.

Dishwizard

FleetZone#3 NorthEastern Region

Sorry, I'm in FleetZone#3 NothEastern Region,

I know this may be asking too much, but if someone could step me through programming at least 1 site or group, I'm sure I could figure out the rest !!! Sorry for my ignorance on this trunking system, I just bought this 996T last week and I,ve been trying now for 5 days now to get this fleetzone working !!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!
Thanks

DaveH

Look up Motorola system with Sys ID "8230" in the database here. Read
the "sticky" near the top of this forum for Uniden programming for Fleetnet.
As long as the CCs (primary and alternate) are known for your area, you
can use CC-only. Make sure you can hear the CC in manual mode, a grinding
sound like a diesel engine idling.

Dave

Dishwizard

Thanks !!!

Thanks Dave, I'll give it a try and let you know !!

Thanks for all your help,!!!
Do I have to enter the SYSTEM ID in the programming ?? "8230" ???

can you post a link to a step by step ??? This is driving me nuts !!!
also, control channel is 142.9500 but from what I see, I can only select "control channel only" if I do not select P25 in programming !!
I thought this WAS P25 digital !!

Last edited:

jellotor

Fleetnet is mixed mode...both analog and P25 digital, so configure the trunking system to Motorola Type 2 VHF and enter, as per Dave's suggestion, the base/step/offset information and you should be good to go. Since it's not a fully P25 system (ie. the control channel is analog) just make sure it's configured as a type 2 system.

Dishwizard

System ID ???

Do I also have to enter the SYSTEM ID # somewhere or just those 3 frequencies ??
Also, I see I can enter base frequencies and steps, but no place to input offset !!??
You think I could upload my sys. file and someone could input a few for me so I can see exactly what I'm doing wrong ???
Sorry If I sound like a dummy !!! It's just I've read how to input trunking frequencies with other models of scanners but no specific instructions for this BCD996T !!!

I understand all the analog system, been doing this for years, but this APCO25 is just confusing me !!
I'm sure I"ll eventually figure this out, but just need some step by step for THIS MODEL !!! to get me started !!

Thanks for all the patience and help guys !! This site is great !!!

Last edited:

seamusg

Dishwizard said:
Thanks Dave, I'll give it a try and let you know !!

Thanks for all your help,!!!
Do I have to enter the SYSTEM ID in the programming ?? "8230" ???

can you post a link to a step by step ??? This is driving me nuts !!!
also, control channel is 142.9500 but from what I see, I can only select "control channel only" if I do not select P25 in programming !!
I thought this WAS P25 digital !!
The system is not a project 25 standard system it is a Mot II system with p25 voice. A project 25 standard has a 9600 bps control channel and a Mot II has a 3600 bps CC.
Just because it has some P25 voice doesnot make it a Project 25 standard system.

Dishwizard

Step me through !!!

Can someone step me through programming FleetZone #3 using a BCD996T ????
I don't want to be a pest but I just want to see this thing work !!!

jellotor

You're trying to program a fairly new trunked system with a brand new scanner...hopefully you realize you're on the thin edge of the wedge as far as specific knowledge or 'stepping you through the programming' is concerned.

My suggestion to you is to do the following:

1. Read the manual (assuming you haven't already) and try to learn as much about this scanner as possible.
2. Read the forums here, and specifically about Bell Fleetnet. Then again, a few members gave you some pretty precise directions on what is *generally* needed to program a Motorola Type 2 VHF trunking system...namely the base/offset/step.
3. Try to confirm that you can actually recieve the control channel you're trying to track by tuning the scanner to it manually and listening for the familiar motorboat sound.
4. Rather than jumping in with both feet and trying to make it work with the control channel only feature, program all of the voice channels in.
5. Go to butel.nl and download the ARC996 software. Many of us use Butel's other ARC software and they are, for the most part, superior pieces of software to the Uniden stuff.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but the fact is that you're off in an area where Fleetnet is still (I believe) being rolled out and you're using a brand-spanking-new scanner that most of us haven't laid much more than eyes on. Perhaps asking generic questions about the capabilities of that model would be better suited in the Uniden forum. But all of the Fleetnet advice holds true: you need to program those base frequencies, channel offsets and the channel spacing or it's a no-go for listening to that system.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.