control switching fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8chb

hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me or if anyone has similar problem. I have a uniden bc796 with updated software (addresses issues with Motorola P25 that do not include band tables)

For the first time I programed the scanner to recieve some of the (OPP) Ontario Provincial Police system. Bell Fleetnet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 and found the Control frequency switching will not work. I'm able to copy good audio from all of the output frequencys along with a strong signal on 4 differant control frequencys and would like to make use of the switching. I am guessing that I might have to uninstall the update and return to the old version but not sure.

Roger n8chb

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
n8chb said:
hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me or if anyone has similar problem. I have a uniden bc796 with updated software (addresses issues with Motorola P25 that do not include band tables)

For the first time I programed the scanner to recieve some of the (OPP) Ontario Provincial Police system. Bell Fleetnet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 and found the Control frequency switching will not work. I'm able to copy good audio from all of the output frequencys along with a strong signal on 4 differant control frequencys and would like to make use of the switching. I am guessing that I might have to uninstall the update and return to the old version but not sure.

Roger n8chb
The 796 must use the three table settings and each site must be in it's own bank. The scanner can only trunk track one active CC per bank.

n8chb

fmon said:
The 796 must use the three table settings and each site must be in it's own bank. The scanner can only trunk track one active CC per bank.

Thanks for the reply and yup I know dat.

Still can't get er to work.

If you would like to check it out I have it running at wit a digital display at
http://www.qsl.net/n8chb/index.html

Roger - n8chb

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber

n8chb

IdleMonitor said:
Sounds like you got it working. I'm hearing the 6Echo units on the feed.

What OPP area is it that your including on the stream besides Essex County?http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=861

Btw, on your link http://www.qsl.net/n8chb/index.html the display isn't showing up in the media player. I even tried it in the actual windows media player but still a no go.

Thanks for the report om,

I still can't get it to switch wit a control frequency. I have the outputs for five locations programed on 1 bank fer now because they are all simplex. My qth is in Canton, Mi 25 miles west, out of gun shot range of Detroit. hi
I can hear London, Chatham, Essex, Sarnia, and Windsor transmitters.

On the live feed using IE or Mozilla it should auto start the display (windows media encoder) and you can manually click the other players.
I found a short cut to use the media player by manually entering a url also (does not always work)

Thats the scoop,

Roger

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
What exactly are you referring to when you say control channel switching? I've never heard that term used with a scanner before.

I'm also curious about your statement that the outputs are simplex? I'm not sure what you mean by this one as well.

n8chb

Mike_Oxlong said:
What exactly are you referring to when you say control channel switching? I've never heard that term used with a scanner before.

I'm also curious about your statement that the outputs are simplex? I'm not sure what you mean by this one as well.

hi Mike,

I have had a lot of experiance in radio communications but I know very little about the scanner hobby. Simplex is a term relating to a single frequency or as scanner folks seem to call them channels like TV sets have. These are the frequencys that carry voice information and usually more than one in a group with others.

When I said control channel switching I meant the frequency that sends ascii data only to tell the system which simplex frequency in the group to switch to.

Hope that explains it at least the best I can with my limited info about scanners.

I need all the help I can get, hi hi

Roger - n8chb

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Mike_Oxlong said:

I'm confused also regarding "control channel switching".

Roger, in your stream, the 14x.xxxx voice freqs are scanned in conventional mode when they are broadcast. If those are OPP, they should indicate M plus the 3 digit channel number and the Motorola TG on the top line. The 800 MSP in bank 2 is correctly set to Motorola while Essex OPP in bank 7 is in conventional mode.

One more point, I'm unfamiliar with the system due to my location. However, can someone enlighten me as to why table 2 and 3 are needed since no frequency listed in the DB is above the base of either?
Code:
Table       1       2        3
Base:    141.015 151.7300 154.3200  
Spacing: 15.0    15.0     15.0  
Offset:  380     579      632
Otherwise, nice job Roger - your stream looks and sounds great.

n8chb

fmon said:
I'm confused also regarding "control channel switching".

Roger, in your stream, the 14x.xxxx voice freqs are scanned in conventional mode when they are broadcast. If those are OPP, they should indicate M plus the 3 digit channel number and the Motorola TG on the top line. The 800 MSP in bank 2 is correctly set to Motorola while Essex OPP in bank 7 is in conventional mode.

One more point, I'm unfamiliar with the system due to my location. However, can someone enlighten me as to why table 2 and 3 are needed since no frequency listed in the DB is above the base of either?
Code:
Table       1       2        3
Base:    141.015 151.7300 154.3200  
Spacing: 15.0    15.0     15.0  
Offset:  380     579      632
Otherwise, nice job Roger - your stream looks and sounds great.

Thanks for your input Frank,

The way the scanner is working at the moment for the OPP system is that I loaded several voice frequencys into one bank and the scanner is just conventionally scanning them.
I did it that way just as a test to see if I could copy them but I would like to be able to select ID numbers and have it stop for them only rather than recieve everything.

When I put any of the control frequencys in the uniden bc796 will not switch to the other frequencys in that group. Is that how it works or do I have to put all of the frequencys plus the control frequency?

*note the display is embedded into my home page and if you close your browser or click on one of the two links they are audio only. I did that to save bandwidth.

Roger

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Roger wrote:"The way the scanner is working at the moment for the OPP system is that I loaded several voice frequencys into one bank and the scanner is just conventionally scanning them.
I did it that way just as a test to see if I could copy them but I would like to be able to select ID numbers and have it stop for them only rather than recieve everything.

When I put any of the control frequencys in the uniden bc796 will not switch to the other frequencys in that group. Is that how it works or do I have to put all of the frequencys plus the control frequency?"

You will only be able to manage ID numbers with the CC's and VC's programmed into the bank set as Motorola. You can do it with CC's only if you set the bank to CC only mode, but they still need to be set as Motorola. Program the Alt CC's also. Again, each site must be in separate banks.

This Programming shortcut may help, though it's for the 785D but both scanners program exactly the same.

n8chb

You will only be able to manage ID numbers with the CC's and VC's programmed into the bank set as Motorola. You can do it with CC's only if you set the bank to CC only mode, but they still need to be set as Motorola. Program the Alt CC's also. Again, each site must be in separate banks.

This Programming shortcut may help, though it's for the 785D but both scanners program exactly the same.[/QUOTE]

Thanks agn Frank for all ur help,

I am beginning to think what I mentioned about the update is true.
I don't think it's compatable with that system.

I didn't save a copy of the old band plan software and would like to try writing it back into the scanner.

Could someone send it to me or let me know a place where I can download it because its gone from the uniden site.

Roger the dodger

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
n8chb said:
hi Mike,

Simplex is a term relating to a single frequency or as scanner folks seem to call them channels like TV sets have. These are the frequencys that carry voice information and usually more than one in a group with others.

OK, right idea but wrong terminology. Simplex refers to communications on a single frequency. Radios transmit and receive on the same frequency.

Since Fleetnet is a trunking system, the channels are duplex. The radios transmit on one frequency and receive on another. This is a half-duplex system as the portables and mobiles cannot transmit while receiving. A cellular phone system would be a full duplex system as the handsets can transmit while simultaneously receiving.

n8chb said:
When I said control channel switching I meant the frequency that sends ascii data only to tell the system which simplex frequency in the group to switch to.
Roger - n8chb

The frequency that sends the data (it's not ascii) is the control channel. With your type of scanner, you cannot put more then one control channel in per bank.

However, I believe you are talking about the ability of the scanner to tune to the proper *duplex* voice frequency when a talkgroup assignment is made.

If you check the top of the forum, there's a sticky which should help guide you in programming your scanner properly for Fleetnet.

If you can hear 5 different control channels from Fleetnet, you will need to separate them into 5 separate banks. Each bank will contain one control channel and the associated voice frequencies for that site. You will also need to setup that bank as a Motorola VHF trunking bank and enter the proper base, offset and step. Each voice frequency will also need to be marked as being Motorola trunked.

Read the FAQ at the top. It's a step-by-step guide that should help.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
n8chb said:
I am beginning to think what I mentioned about the update is true.
I don't think it's compatable with that system.

The update has nothing to do with your problem. All Uniden updates have been compatible with the Fleetnet system. If it wasn't, more people would be complaining.

Read the FAQ on programming your scanner for Fleetnet at the top of this forum.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17856

Last edited:

n8chb

Mike_Oxlong said:
The update has nothing to do with your problem. All Uniden updates have been compatible with the Fleetnet system. If it wasn't, more people would be complaining.

Read the FAQ on programming your scanner for Fleetnet at the top of this forum.

yup I;m enclined to agree but so far nothing sugested or I have tried has worked yet.

Roger

n8chb

Hello and thanks to all that helped me,

I got er done and it seems to workin well now.

Simple mistake on my part. Being unfamiliar with this system I was only entering one frequency. Didn't understand I needed the whole bunch of them in there and the trunk setting had to be turned on for all of them.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.