Controlling an AOR 3000a with from a PC or Mac

dragon48

I'm never going to get rid of my AOR 3000a, but it's a pain to use. The dial is going bad and the numbers on the buttons are starting to wear off.

I'm thinking about throwing some money at this and buying an old XP laptop with a serial port to control the radio. Is there any free software that I can use. I found some posts referring to older versions of Scancat, but the links don't work, and I found a Scancat page that wants $99.95 for a legacy 16 bit version - Scancat-GOLD - "Legacy" 16 bit Receiver Control Software

Also, I have an old 32 bit MacBook pro. If I buy a USB to Serial Port adaptor, will any software work with Mac's GUI, or directly with the Linux based system? If not, could I install WINE and then Windows XP to get something working?

I realize that because SDRs are so cheap now, (I have RTL-SDR + Ham it Up) this may be a silly project, but I'd like to see if I can get this done. Also, I suspect that HF reception will be better with the AOR.

Not asking for any links to pirated software.

Thanks

AOR-262

@dragon48

I actually wrote my own programming software for the AOR 8000 (AR8000). As a way of a memory refresher, I looked at the manual for the AR3000A and I could easily mod. the code to run the commands the AR3000A knows. The software I wrote is very primitive but it does the job. I've been seeking someone with a greater knowledge and experience of developing the software to run under a Windows application. The downside is, possibly they would want money for their work which is understandable -- I'm not looking to make any money from my software, just write the code and let people enjoy using it.

Sybaris

I'm in the same boat

There is a thread in here where someone got their AR5k to work with SDR-Radio via OmniRig and piped the IF into a HackRF One SDR and used it as a panadapter. Said the control was a bit latent but worked.

dragon48

I'm in the same boat

There is a thread in here where someone got their AR5k to work with SDR-Radio via OmniRig and piped the IF into a HackRF One SDR and used it as a panadapter. Said the control was a bit latent but worked.
I'm not going to get a chance to try anything until early January, but please keep in touch and let me know if you find anything that works. I'll do the same.

I don't use the AOR much for scanning. It would be nice to have advanced features, but I just need a simple PC interface where I can set the frequency and the mode.

I'm not a good programmer, but know how to send basic serial port commands, so maybe if I can figure out some simple command line syntax to get the radio to do what I need.

dragon48

Some good news:

I called AORUSA and they told me to look at the support - third party software section of their web page. I contacted somebody from VisualRadio - Excellence in Radio Software | VisualRadio Suite by DG1DX, and he replied:

"We do have VisualRadio with AR-3000 support. I could compile you a demo for testing purposes. Price is € 95,00 to be paid via PayPal." That comes out to $112.63 USD at today's conversion rate. It's more than I wanted to throw at this project, but if it works, I'm going to buy a license. I asked him to verify whether this would work with Windows 10 and a Serial Port to USB adaptor, and will add his reply to this thread.

If you are interested in a demo, his contact info is:

support@visualradio.de - Bernd

Let me know if you request a demo and if it works.