BCT15X: Conventional analog simulcast distortion issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisABQ

Within the last month, two systems that I monitor Rio Rancho PD and Sandoval County SO Sandoval County, New Mexico (NM) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference have upgraded to what they call the simulcast site. They are analog on the VHF band.

Since upgrading, there has been sporadic distortion issues that sounds like two units keying up at the same time but this is not the cause (although it does happen sometimes). The distortion will last throughout the entire transmission. Other times, it sounds strong and normal. The towers are located about 10 miles away.

This distortion only affects my BCT15X and sounds clear on my 436 and Baofeng Uv-5r. The BCT15X is hooked up to a discone antenna mounted on top of my patio fence (HOA).

Is this an issue that I'm going to have to live with in the BCT15X or is there something that I can do to eliminate or lesson this effect?

Your help would be much appreciated.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I won't be any local help, but I'd be willing to bet the users on the system experience the same thing.

The 15X experiences this because it's on an external antenna and receiving multiple sites that haven't been properly oprimized. Or this what I'm putting my money on at least.

JamesO

Try turning the attenuator on for the specific Frequencies and see what happens.

I assume the other 2 radios you are using the antenna on the handheld radio rather than connecting to the Discone?

ChrisABQ

Attenuation does not help at all. Yes, this is the only radio on the outdoor antenna. I did just hook up the 436 on the discone and I'm now getting distortion on that as well. The discone has been fine until these new systems came online and are the only two systems with this issue.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
We had an analog system here that used a form of Simulcasting but in analog.
Yes, the system users also had issues depending on their location.

I was lucky and lived north of the two sites they transmitted from so I had great reception.

I think they called it Anycast if not mistaken.

It was the Jefferson County PD that used this system in Missouri so there may still be a wiki article about that old system and the technology it used.

They have since moved to a simulcast P25 system and went fully encrypted from the moment they keyed up the first radio on the P25 system called Slater.

edit: I found the wiki page and they used SYNCHROCAST technology back in their analog days.
The wiki is at: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Jefferson_County_(MO)) if you want more info.

I think in this case, a decent directional antenna aimed at the nearest site may fix your problems. Similar to the same things users try on P25 simulcast systems but it may be easier on an analog signal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.