Conventional Captures from Norfolk Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Final post of Norfolk findings. Most came from the PSR-800 which I didn't use in an interactive way for the most part. Its job was just to scan rail, marine and whatever trunks it was capabale of. Anything DMR came from the TRX-1. Marine was a mix. Note that you have everything from my real-time paper log in my original thread on the upcoming trip. These are what the scanners managed to record.

151.865 [d627] - something scratchy in the Waterside area
156.350 MC07A - scratchy on the ground at Waterside
156.400 MC08 - mention of a forklift, "Craney Island, St. Johns River" (Google search shows a Florida-based tugboat named St. Johns River)
156.425 MC68 - all pleasure boats AFAIK
156.475 MC69 - crisp audio with some kind of high pitched noise in the background. Sounds like French. About 10am. Could this be where Patrouille de France was hiding, or possibly communicating with ground? I understand that some military avionics have this capability. I saved these recordings and hope to find someone to speaks French to check them out.
156.500 MC10 - "low down and easy on bow", "departing PMT" - my old listings had this as McAllister Towing, and I think the Waterside/Portside ferry.
156.575 MC71 - "trying to fit" mention of an approaching barge. Other traffic indicating possibly a sailboat or schooner
156.625 MC72 - Sounds like navigational use by the Navy. One ship preparing for a movement at Craney Island announced he was listening on 13, 16 & 72. Also "Warship 96 hailing you on 72"
156.675 MC73 - Possibly associated with de-gaussing
156.700 MC14 - "incoming vessel, Pier 5, Berth 5"
156.725 MC74 - supposedly for Port Control...scratchy around Waterside
156.875 MC77 - supposedly for docking ops, low pwr. Voice inversion heard at Waterside
156.925 MC78 - bucket might swing and "bump the 110." "move west toward Berkeley"
156.950 MC19A - Tug pulling a barge by cable.
157.000 MC20 - sounded like "win Charlie Charlie" only one catch
157.125 MC82A - docking, aux power. My gut was that it might be used at USCG HQ
157.175 MC83A - Correction on my earlier report. Recordings show it was a Navy patrol boat threatening to fire on someone encroaching on the 1000yd safety zone. Voice was strident, siren was audible, but I hope it was an exercise.
162.000 MC28 - Automatic radio check b SeaTow at Little Creek. Always followed by a commercial. I'll be locking this one out next trip!

360.600 - "Initial for the arrest" My notes show this as the UHF side of 127.9. (Norfolk App/Dep 180-310deg beyond 20nm)
453.200 [DMR cc1sl1tg1] - presumably Hampton Roads Reg Jail in Portsmouth
457.575 MC UHF 3A - "meet me on the pier by the elevator", stevedoring type traffic heard in English. Also transmissions that sounded Asian and middle eastern.
457.600 MC UHF 4A - repeater with 186.2 in foreign language. Behaved like a simplex repeater but I couldn't confirm. Heard first at Chambers and suspected ground crew for the French AF guys. No longer thinking this.
467.600 MC UHF 4A - there was also some crisp, professional-sounding traffic involving helo departures, rounds, and someone ID'ed as 'ammo'. Heard twice at Willoughby Friday afternoon, and once at Waterside Saturday morning.
467.550 - This appears to have been digital and heard only on the PSR800. The only traffic I could recognize on this was characteristic of Little Creek security, and I never heard the equivalent on the NOB trunk site. I can't find any transmissions which correspond to a trunk capture. In fact, I never saw a Little Creek TG show up on the NOB site, despite the fact that NNSY and Oceana's primary security freqs did.

467.55 was monitored by mistake. I mistyped what should've been 457.55 in my marine bank--which I believe should be UHF 2A, paired with 467.775 (2B).

467.55 and some of the traffic on 457.6, may be images and maybe not. Manuals for the TRX-1 and PSR800 show that both have IF's of 380.8 MHz, 21.4 MHz and 455 kHz. I can't investigate them until vacation since I don't live there and all this was on recordings when I got home. Anyone who is interested in following up on them can use that info to help calculate where to look. PM me, and I'll send you my log from the trip. (where was some traffic that I don't want to relate in this forum)

Had a great time on this work trip. Looking forward to spending part of the week before Memorial Day down there again, with my setup a bit adjusted, and a chance to hit some of the attractions. Am thinking about doing the Victory Rover cruise hopefully more of a port tour and less of a floor show than the Spirit of Norfolk.

Thanks to all who helped me prepare for my visit, and suggestions/advice always appreciated.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
reg jail

I thought the HR Regional Jail was on Portsmouth system?

n4jri

Premium Subscriber

Apologies...the license says it's actually courtroom security, which is evidently next door to the City Jail. Be aware, though, that HRRJ has a license WQVW578 in the FCC database for a trunked UHF repeater system. Lumped this one in by mistake.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.